We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

facebook

ENGLAND
1 post
Save Topic
facebook

I was talking to a Mexican who says lives in HELENA MONTANA He has a 12 year old daughter who lives with her aunt. He claims his job takes him al over the world as a construction engineer. On arrival to Nigeria he had been given a cheque which wasnt cleared over easter for 6 days then found it not to be acceptable as the company was unable to honour it. Leaving him without any for the hotel So I lent him money. To return to Montana I paid more money for flight and medical certificate plus injections. There isnt a Mexican consulate in Nigeria so i gave him the telephone number of one in uk as i understand they can give you support to leave the country. HE SAYS HE WILL LEAVE HOTEL WITHOUT PAYING AS NO MONEY. THEN SAYS AT THE AIRPORT GETS ARRESTED UNLESS HE PAYS FINE AND HOTEL. HE LOST HIS FLIGHT SO WILL NEED TO GET ANOTHER. I TOLD HIM I HAVE NO MORE MONEY AND HE ASKED ME TO BORROW IF THIS GUY IS GENUINE WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP? WILL THE MEXICAN EMBASSY HELP? HE SAYS HE HAS THE MONEY BACK HOME. Or is he lying. How can I find out?

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: facebook

The mexican embassy can and will help. There is apparently one in Abuja

Mexico Embassy , Nigeria

39 Usuma Street, Maitama District

Abuja

Nigeria

Phone:

+234-9-462-0630

+234-9-462-0632

+234-9-462-0633

Email:

embnigeria@sre.gob.mx

Apparently there is also an office of 'mexican interest' in the US consulate in Lagos (U.S. Consulate General Lagos Office 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Nigeria

Tel.: (234) 1-460-3400 Fax: (234) 1-261-2218)

I cannot confirm if these details are correct. Best to contact the embassy yourself and give his details/passport, then tell him you have done this and see his reaction. I'm afraid your story sounds very much like a common scam

- email contact with 'expat' who has young child

- working in nigeria then some problem happens with money

- needs you to send money for hotel, medical treatment, flights, visa etc etc The more you send the more he asks for

- the police systems are not that sophisticated that he cant leave the hotel (he is not a prisoner there) and get on a flight. If he gets arrested he will be even more likely to get help from his embassy anyway.

- as an expat worker he is more than likely to have had his flights and accomodation sorted out and paid as part of his contract. He would already have his medical certs and vaccs so why would he have to pay for these in Nigeria? Why did he lose his flight if you paid this and his hotel bill? The list goes on.....

Please do not send or borrow any more money until you can properly verify this persons identity eg embassy, passport details, contact the company he works for, contact directly the hotel he is meant to be staying in etc etc Try and do this yourself rather than via him or third party as scammers have ways of convincing you/getting around your questions. Incidently/interestingly there have been a number of TA posts from new Nigerian members to various country sites trying to verify which countries have embassies in Nigeria since I started posting about the fact that embassies can help genuine citizens :)

You can just walk away from this if you feel you are being scammed and report his email/IP to 419/romance scam sites or police as fraud. Unfortunately there seems to be little else you can do and you are unlikely to get your money back. I hope your story has a happy ending but positive or negative please post what happens in the end (and how you dealt with it) as it may help someone else.

If he is a scammer with any luck he'll get swine flu LOL

Mentioned in this post
Abuja
Abuja
Abuja State, Nigeria
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
atlanta
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: facebook

He is a scammer, you need to move on, you will never see your money, nor meet him. It happened to me.

Planet Earth
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: facebook

How did you meet this person, do you know them personally? Did you try to locate the Mexican embassy - or any diplomatic connections - in Nigeria, or did you just take this guy's word for granted?

Sorry Phoebe73, but anyone I know who goes to Nigeria as an engineer has support from the company he works for unless they go on their own steam. Plus most holidaymakers, much less engineers, will have their vaccinations, medical certs etc. done before they leave home rather than at their destination; most people who have travelled abroad enough know this.

He sounds like a very naive world travelling engineer. I wouldn't bother sending him another cent, if he's got money at home he should also have family who will help him out.

If you feel a burning desire to help him, send him the details of the Mexican embassy as per ada's post.

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Hereford UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: facebook

This has scam written over it. He would not have been arrested at the airport for not paying his hotel. Nigeria is just not that sophisticated.

Dont send a penny more is my advice

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: facebook

How do people fall for this stuff?

S C A M

6. Re: facebook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 16, 2009