We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US $ compared to Naria? What to really expect to spend?

USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
US $ compared to Naria? What to really expect to spend?

Hi, I have looked up the conversion rate for the Naria but that doesn't tell me what you really can buy with a naria. For example, a bottle of water would be what in US dollars converted to Naira? A hotel stay? Anyone been there recently? If I have $500 US dollars will I be okay for a month? I am using this example because when I was in Gambia, that's all I needed to survive for a month. It paid for my hotel, my food and my gifts to bring home. Thanks for all the advice.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US $ compared to Naria? What to really expect to spend?

Hi Im travelling to Nigeria with my boyfriend in November - he is going over before me and will be there for a total of 20 days and will be taking about 1000€ with him and for 10 days i will be taking another 700€ - this does not include the price of our hotel!! From going by my boyfriends costings for there i think you may want to take quite a bit more with you!!

UK
Level Contributor
57 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US $ compared to Naria? What to really expect to spend?

Sorry but there is no way that 500 dollars would last a month in Nigeria. For a two week trip I used to take about 500 pounds - one thousand dollars and I am going back a few years.

Prices in Nigeria are totally ridiculous and I naively went out thinking it would be like Thailand or something - no way!! A hotel in 2004 was about the equivalent of 20 a night and that was a very basic hotel with no facilities other than a double bed, bathroom and tv and very run down. I think it was about 3,500 nira a night but don't quote me - I may be wrong and it will have changed. That was a hotel in Surulere - not in central Lagos. In fact it is so expensive that when I have went we have stayed in a convent. My sister in law is a nun and only when we got married did we stay in a Hotel - the rest of the time it was the Convent accomodation with a communial TV room.

A taxi into town was about 800-1000 nira from Ikeja - not that big a distance but traffic is so bad that they charge a lot - this was in 2004 as well.

A meal in Mr Bigs fast food is about 300-500 nira - from memory again.

Now adays I don't think i would go for a month with less than 1000-1,500 pounds. My ex is going home for two weeks next month and is taking a grand with im -about the same as 2,000 american dollors.

USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: US $ compared to Naria? What to really expect to spend?

Oh my goodness. It was wishful thinking I know. I now see why my friend is telling me not to worry so much and he seems worried!! I just didn't want to carry a large sum of money with me and I know cash is the best thing to have. I am thinking about just wiring him the money before I leave and that way it will already be converted and I don't have to travel with such a large amount. That will probably be best. Thanks for the advice.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US $ compared to Naria? What to really expect to spend?

Hi i have the same issue as i dont want to be carrying large amounts of cash around either. My plan is to leave cash here in Spain with (trustworthy) friends & get them to send it over to me through Moneygram or Western Union when i arrive in 2 or 3 batches

UK
Level Contributor
57 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US $ compared to Naria? What to really expect to spend?

I always travelled with the cash ladies to be honest - I would have some in a zip part in my hand luggage, some in my purse and the vast majority was stuffed in my bra and in a money belt strapped under my clothes. Those money belts are great - I have travelled the world with them and they are so close to your body that no one can see them.

Even if you were robbed (worse case scenario) providced you have some cash on you - they will never find the money belt, it cannot be felt and they are waterproof on the body side as they are worn so close. Saves you all the hassle and cost of changing money - I only ever changed money on the black market in lagos as you get a much better rate than you would in any bank - nearly a third more.

USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: US $ compared to Naria? What to really expect to spend?

Thanks..I heard about the money belts and definitely plan to get one. I don't want to deal with a purse and all. I want my hands free as much as possible. I wasn't thinking of the blackmarket for exchanging. And you are right..did that in Gambia and got such a great deal. Maybe that's why I could live off of $500 US dollars for a month.

7. Re: US $ compared to Naria? What to really expect to spend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, October 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lagos