We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scammed for a Air Ticket

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Scammed for a Air Ticket

I am an Australian business woman and I met an English man by the name of Tim Hegan (timh30959@hotmail.com) through an Australian Dating Site. He works on contracts doing networking for big companies and he lived in Manchester - which he said was a suburb of London. I should have realised then that something wasn't right. He was relocating back to Brisbane to live and was due to arrive when he detoured via Nigeria for a job interview with the Government - worth $10 million. The day after the interview he got "mugged" going to the airport to get his plane ticket here. They stole his wallet and passport and credit cards etc. He couldn't come to Brisbane as he couldn't "pay" for his airline ticket. He asked me if I could pay - he sent me a bank statement of his showing millions of dollars in credit. He promised he would pay me back the minute he got to Brisbane and could access his Bank. Oh - he flew business class of course. So $10,000 AUD silly me sent through a Western Union transfer- I checked the flight details and the costs and they were all legitamite. He sent me the ticket - when I rang the airline it was booked but never paid for......... I woke up to the scam when he asked me to send half the money to him and the other half to his travel agent, Anniebet Ken (who showed up as a romance scammer when I googled him) and contacted Interpol, Federal Police etc to be told there is nothing they can do - $10 million a year goes out of Queensland alone to these scammers. One officer told me I was lucky as most women are scammed for around $25,000. I didn't let him know I knew, so I led him along for a week when he asked me for money to pay his accommodation. I flatly refused and he got very cross with me. After another 3 days he asked for money for his departure tax - the same amount of money as the air ticket. I drilled him over and over about the need for it - then told him I would wire it to him in the morning when the Post Office opened. I emailed him a dodgy CTM Number as there was no money to be collected. Funny I haven't heard from his since.

Please DO NOT SEND MONEY to ANYONE IN LAGOS NIGERIA. IT IS A SCAMM.

ORLANDO
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Scammed for a Air Ticket

This man was recently on LoveandSeek.com,a Christian dating site. He's not lying about being rich. He is from all the women he is scamming. His phone number is 011-234-702-795-2272 and his Yahoo address is theganaussie@Yahoo.com. He was on the site as Thenotedbook1 if he shows up there again. I enjoyed chatting with him but kept my guard up. He was supposedly flying back to Forida tomorrow using cash so I'm sure the "got mugged,lost my cash" story was about to unfold. Thank goodness I checked up on him! I had talked to him on the phone and the minute you talk to him the Scottish/American upbringing doesn't ring true because his accent is sooooo African! Having gone to Egypt in the past,I recognized it for what it was. Of course I am sad that he is not the real deal. He's very respectful and romantic,something that most American men don't know a clue about. Sigh.... Anyway I'm wiser and sadder though thankfully not broker by doing a little research.

2. Re: Scammed for a Air Ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, September 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lagos