We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla de Ometepe

Netherlands
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Isla de Ometepe

Already read some things about Isla de Ometepe but a few questions remain:

Which is the best area to base? I was thinking about Charco Verde or Playa Santa Domingo? Which are good budget options there (single room)?

Which is the best climb, Maderas or Concepcion (I was thinking about Maderas because there is also /more vegetation)?

Is it possible/doable to rent a (mountain)bike to get around the island by myself (is it safe)?

Is it easy to get a local bus from Moyogalpa to the part were I base?

Other recommendations (I think I will spend something like 4 nights there)?

Thanks answering,

Harry

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla de Ometepe

I will say for you to go to the Santo Domingo area, this will make it eaiser for you to find a room (single), rent the bike you want and got to te Maderas Volcano.

There are buses that go from Moyogalpa to Santo Domingo i just do not know the schedule right now.

Granada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla de Ometepe

I agree with Playa Santo Domingo. Close by you find good budget hostels - just ask around. Personally I would pay just a litlle bit more and go up the road to Finca Porvenir at the foot of Maderas. It has a very good price/quality ratio.

The quality of the bikes varies so shop around. With a mountainbike you will get to most places without problems.

Concepcion is a more dangerous and challenging climb so remember to hire a good guide. Maderas do has more vegetation and wildlife so it is a matter of taste which one you prefer.

Buses do not run that often, but are available. You can always hitch hike - if possible everybody will pick you up.

Recommendations: Go explore the island and find you own personal paradise. Go to the San Ramon waterfall.

nicaragua
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla de Ometepe

We stayed at Finca del Sol last week for three nights, located in the Santo Domingo area, and would recommend this eco finca. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Enjoy your stay in Ometepe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla de Ometepe

hello

I have done Concepcion, and it was awesome.

Maderas is meant to be easier, and there is more vegetation, but you will not get the views that you get from concepcion.

I have attached to this message the link to my blog from that day

…blogspot.com/2009/09/climbing-volcan-concep…

Regards,

Berttie

Slovakia
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla de Ometepe

Is it easy /posible to get to San Ramon waterfall from Santo Domingo by bike?

6. Re: Isla de Ometepe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, July 28, 2010