We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of property?

Columbia, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Price of property?

Does anyone know how much a piece of property on Isla de Ometepe would cost? Considering, the land was purchasable and cleared of all legal restrictions.

1. Re: Price of property?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:51 am, November 16, 2004
Miami, Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of property?

Hi - I went to Nicaragua on a family trip this past June. Of all the places we visited, my husband, who is in real estate in the U.S., asked our tour guide how much it would be for a small island. He mentioned you can purchase on the smaller "isletas" for as little as 20,000 USD. This is land only.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of property?

I looked at a house w/one acre near the beach in July of 2004. The cost was $9000. The house wasn't much....one bedroom and a kitchen/living room combination...bathroom outside. It was about 900 sq ft.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of property?

price for raw land runs from 1,000 USD to 2,500 USD. Prices are climbing about 40% per year. property prices with homes will add some. Most homes need extensive renovation. There are a few "dream" homes that went anfinished and are available. There is 1 ex-pat builder on the island that I know of.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of property?

I would like the name of the ex-pat builder. Can you refer me?

6. Re: Price of property?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 25, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of property?

When I was looking for property 3 years ago it was $250 an acre. But I lived and worked with an old farmer and his son for six months and I changed my mind about buying. I think before you go off purchasing your piece of paradise remember that this land is the heritage of a people with a rich agrarian tradition but little else to give to their children besides their land and their beloved island. When a farmer who makes $300 a year for his 4 acres of land is offered $20,000 it is very enticing and he may take it, but he will never be able to get it back. From now on no islander will ever be able to afford the price of land on their island, nor will their children or their children's children. The tragedy of the commons is that you take your piece and he takes his piece and I mine, sooner or later we have unwittingly destroyed the very culture that we fell in love with and rendered the island's people landless and servile. Instead of tending their land they'll be tending your garden. So what is the price of land? And what is it worth to you?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of property?

I heard that recently a plot of about 1 Manzana on the water was sold for $20,000, but I have no verification.

I have bought there and paid a lower amount due to foreclosure on a farm company. I think I paid about $500-$1000 per Manzana. The farther from the water, the cheaper.

By the way, part of the property I bought from a local campesino, very nice guy. I paid him more than he was being quoted elsewhere. And, worked out some legal technicalities for him on my dime.

If you don't like capitalism, don't buy. But he is using the funds for improvement to his house, investments, and a loan to a friend which appears to be getting paid back. Do you think he likes the increased property prices, or not?

Ometepans are very friendly, and there is little homelessness there.

Have fun.