We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

I have a few q's which I'd be very grateful for answers to.

Any tips on the most direct (!) route from Zagora to Tafraoute? Is the N12 west from Zagora now sealed to Tata? Best route from Tata to Tafraoute?

How long would the whole drive take? I'm driving alone next week, mid-aged female.

Many thanks in advance.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

I wouldn't take the N12. It's passable but sections are still not tarmac. It won't be open as a tarmac road until 2014.

Best to go north to Agdz then the R108 across to Tazenakht. From there take the N10 to Taliouine (centre of the saffron trade) then the R106 via Igherm to Tafraoute.

It's 460km in total Some bits are quite fast (Agdz to Tazenakht) but others have lots of bends, so I'd be thinking of eight hours plus stops.

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

Thanks very much Tim - that's really helpful but not what I wanted to hear!

My route TO Zagora will be Taroudant - Taliouine - Agdz, so I was hoping to do a loop.

Also the time estimate is off-putting.

It means I may have to overnight in Taliouine. Any recommendations there? (I repeat my status: single middle-aged woman!).

Thanks again

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

Auberge Souktana in Taliouine is OK, it's the first you would see (on the right) as you enter the town, see http://membres.multimania.fr/souktana/

If you want to try something completely different Escale Rando Maison d'Hote is a converted part of the old Glaoui kasbah which is on a left turn just before Souktana. See tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g793694-d204474…

I tend to ride quite slowly but I think the time estimates won't be far out. Another routing option is before you get to Tazenakht you could turn south on the R111 to Foum Zguid and then on the Tata. It's a bit further in distance but maybe about the same in time. There's a new road that's not shown on any of the maps yet. From Tata you take the R109 and when you get to Issafen turn left (west) and when you reach the R106 turn left (south) and after about 15km you reach the junction to Tafraoute.

If you do go this way, as you leave Tissint there's a very sharp left bend. Turn right here for 200-300m to visit the waterfalls, a popular place when it's hot. And after leaving Tissint, after maybe 1km or so, you'll see some houses on the other side of a gorge to your right that's hidden from the road. Pull over and check it out. Spectacular scenery which you can't see from the road.

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

Thanks - have just followed your alternative route on my map which looks great but again too long to cover in one day. I think I may have to stay the night in Taliouine then cut down via Ighern to Tafraoute. I'm supposing that's about 3 hrs?

And one last driving time question: Tafraoute to Agadir airport = 2 hrs?

Very helpful info - thanks again for your input.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

I also liked Auberge Souktana in Taliouine.

Lovely and quiet and you should get the sleep you will probably need.

Le Havre, France
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

what about gas stations along this road ?

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

I never did that road in the end - only the Agadir / Taroudant / Zagora - Tamegroute stretch & back the same way. The Tafraoute leg was too much in the little time I had - as there's a better road on its way, I'll wait.

Re gas stations throughout the south - you find them at all decent sized towns, so just remember to fill up.

8. Re: Driving from Zagora to Tafraoute

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, October 31, 2014