We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Merzouga
Search

Desert Tour

San Diego...
Level Contributor
117 posts
59 reviews
28 helpful votes
Desert Tour
Save

Ok so I booked a nice Hotel/Guest House in Merzouga for when I arrive, HOWEVER the very next day I kind of wish to go on a Camel Trek with ANOTHER tour operator. My HOtel does offer the same tour but I already planned on going with another company.

Would this be considered rude? I mean in many countries I would not even care or even think about it...but I am a bit scared that the host might be offended if I arrive and not book HIS tour ! I mean Merzouga is probably a tiny village and everybody knows each other?

ALso....are there any Camel Treks (Sunset Rides and Dinner in the desert) which return after dinner or are they mostly all staying out to sleep in the tents? Thank you !!!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
193 reviews
126 helpful votes
1. Re: Desert Tour
Save

Honestly, they can feel to be offended of that. Bt on other side, if you explain for them that you didn't know in advance that the offer also camel trek, then maybe it can be OK?

You can choose either camel trek over night and sleep in the tent in sand dunes, it is with dinner there, breakfast you get then when you are back in the hotel. But how it is if you go with other than hotels camel trek, I not know.

Or you can choose 1-2 hours camel trek for to see sunrise or sunset. It is without meal, maybe a cup of tha?

Merzouga, Morocco
Level Contributor
236 posts
23 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Desert Tour
Save

Previously there was no real option other than to take the desert tour be it sunrise/sunset camel trek or overnight desert stay that was offered by the hotel/riad you stayed in. The choice wasn't great, there was just one 'public' camp with just a few hotels also having camps so this wad not so great for visitors.

All that has changed and morseso in the last couple of years. There"s now greater choice also with independently-owned desert camps and they are all quite different in terms of location, style, comfort cuisine with different experiences, meeting all budgets.

It's completely fine to book a stay in a hotel and the next day to make a sunrise/sunset camel or 4x4 tour or overnught desert stay with another provider.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
105 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Desert Tour
Save

Of course there would be someone who can do it, as they can charge you little extra i think if you are doing a camel trekking and have dinner then return back to the hotel, so you can check with someone that has their camp close by so not to take all that distance to the desert camp and return as it's not that comfortable even for yourself to go and back in a short moment, so try to discuss your options first if not then just make the overnight it worth it.

Edited: 12:12 pm, August 17, 2015
San Diego...
Level Contributor
117 posts
59 reviews
28 helpful votes
4. Re: Desert Tour
Save

cheers !! thanks for all the advise !

5. Re: Desert Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 22, 2016