We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nervous about driving to Merzouga

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nervous about driving to Merzouga

Hi all.

I've read a lot about driving in Morocco, and although it sounds kind of intimidating, I think I can handle it for most of where I'm going. (I do drive in NYC everyday!)

I am kind of worried about driving down to Merzouga from Fes. From what I've read, it gets kind of confusing after Rissani, as there are two roads and one is not paved. I've also read about people offering to lead you through this part (for a fee of course), and there are numerous tales of getting one's car stuck in the sand and having to push it out.

Since I am a female and will be traveling alone, the possibility that I would get stuck in the sand will not make for a funny memory as far as I am concerned.

So, can someone please let me know what this drive is really like?

I have been looking into taking the bus there and having a driver take me back, leaving my rental in Fes, since I'm worried about this drive!

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

Have you considered an alternative to driving by yourself?

The scenery is amazing and you may enjoy the trip a lot more if you take the bus.

Supratours runs a very comfortable bus which leaves Fes early morning and goes all the way to Merzouga. It makes stops to allow people to eat and use the toilets.

It's a long tiring trip, and if I were you I would stop at Ouarzazate and spend a night there before continuing on to Merzouga and the Erg Chebbi sand dunes. Be sure to book your hotel in M well in advance online.

Also, once you are in Fes, buy your bus tickets a day in advance at the Supratours office, to ensure getting a seat, if this is what you decide to do.

Come back with any more questions that might spring to mind, and someone will be more than happy to help.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

It's quite difficult to find the unpaved road, just follow the road signs, you'll be fine.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

I'm in the same boat and opted to split up trip in Ourzazate from Marrakech; however after my time in Merzouga I plan on sharing a taxi back to Fes vs. the 13 hour overnight bus ride.

No thanks!

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

If you are used to drive in the states would be fine in Morocco, there is just a bit difficulty in Marrakech city that's all, as you know on the way is more easier than inside the cities where it's crowded.

Have fun .

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

David, one small correction - the Supratour bus leaves Fes at night, around 19.00 I think. It is from Marrakech it leaves at morning.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

Thank you, Khamlia.

I don't know why anyone would want to take a night bus!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

Neither me, but even CTM which is ending in Rissani go overnight too. Just this route Fes - Erg Chebbi it is, if it is better for the driver to drive at night or?

And I will correct me :), the Supratour bus leaves Fes 20.30 and arrive to Merzouga 7.15AM.

new york USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

Thank you all, I do feel better!

9. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, March 16, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
523 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nervous about driving to Merzouga

Hi

We did the drive from Marrakech to Merzouga a few years ago and had no problem finding the road from Rissani - the hairiest bit as far as I was concerned was Marrakech! Once out on the open road it was easy.