We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a credit card to book a hire car????

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lazy, Poland
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need a credit card to book a hire car????

i am searching for a company to hire a car from that does not require a credit card, I understand that a deposit is required for petrol in tank. Does anyone know If any company's accept debit or cash. As I don't own a credit card.

Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a credit card to book a hire car????

I though ALL car hire companies anywhere in the world require a credit card to make a booking. This then allows them to charge any damages etc to you without actually needing your permission, ie you can't crash the car and just give them back the keys and walk away having just paid the rental costs.

The 'Personal finance' pages of newspapers used to regularly get letters from readers complaining of Car Hire Co.s charging the credit card for damages to vehicles that they said they didn't cause.

That said may someone else here can help you get round the credit card requirement.

Lazy, Poland
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a credit card to book a hire car????

Hi SIbrahim, I have spoken with Avis & a debit card is ok. So fingers crossed. I did argue that I had an email stating a credit card was the only form of card accepted, Avis continued to say that the car is waiting for me, also my debit card is okay & the only payment taken would be for petrol should I return the car without a full tank. So fingers crossed. If it all goes wrong looks like Supratours.

Thank you for replying

Annie

Lazy, Poland
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a credit card to book a hire car????

Debit cards are accepted, no problem, just in case anyone has come across this misleading info. :-)

Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a credit card to book a hire car????

Local car rental companies in Morocco do not always require a credit card. I have rented from a local company in Rabat, and they have never asked. When you book a rental car from the airport, for example, a credit card with a $1200 guarantee was required. The did ask for my Canadian Identity card which we do not have.

Local companies are far more pleasant to deal with that the international ones--that has been my experience.

Also, take a lot of pictures of the car before you leave the parking lot. Note every scratch and dent.

5. Re: Need a credit card to book a hire car????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 21, 2012