We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Merzouga
Search

Camel trekking - doubts

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
7 helpful votes
Camel trekking - doubts
Save

Hello,

I've already book a 3 day trip to the desert from Marrakesh with Omar from Camel trekking.

The 1st night will be in gorges and i wonder if does anyone remember the name of the hotel that Omar use to take the tourists? is the hotel reasonable? It´s in Skoura, M'gouna, Dades Gorge,Boumalne or in Todra Gorges?

The 2nd night will be at a tent in Erg Chebbi dunes after a camel ride; can anyone describe a litle how usually the nigt is spendt?

And what about lunch (it's not included... i think.), does Omar sugest a place?

The 3rd day it's only to go back to Marrakesh, about 8 hours. It´s a hard day, i supose... We came through the same road to Ouarzazate or take anoather one? Have time to make some stops? where is the lunch stop?

Any information will be very helpfull,because we're going in 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Lx Eagle

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
629 posts
70 reviews
30 helpful votes
1. Re: Camel trekking - doubts
Save

Why do not you ask Omar himself for such infos??

Bizzar!!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Camel trekking - doubts
Save

Hi, tizi0001

I've allready done thath, but Omar is allways on tour and when he write it's only 2 or 3 words.

That's why TA Foruns exists, to answers all this questions, don´t you think??

Thanks for your reply...

morocco
Level Contributor
146 posts
3. Re: Camel trekking - doubts
Save

Sounds dodgy to me, if your man Omar is not telling you what you are paying for on your trip, then somthing is very wrong and you are probably going to get ripped off.

You should cancel and go with a company that tells you what is and is not included, and responds to you questions with more than 2 or 3 words.

4. Re: Camel trekking - doubts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:30 pm, May 08, 2008
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
629 posts
70 reviews
30 helpful votes
5. Re: Camel trekking - doubts
Save

See LxEagle Omar has enough time to get into the forums, but not the answer your questions??

Bizzar

Anyway hope you ll have great time in Morocco.

Bye

6. Re: Camel trekking - doubts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:05 am, May 17, 2008
Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
7. Re: Camel trekking - doubts
Save

For our first night in the valley we stayed at Hotel Kachba Dades, located about 1km north of Boumalene Dades (sorry about the spelling), excellent location, great hotel and service ...one of the friendliest places we stayed in Morocoo. We were made to feel so much at home that it was tempting to forget the long drive. We were even offered a complimentary mint tea on the terrace after we’d checked in. We had a nice bedroom with a view over the fascinating ddades vally, we had breakfast on a lovely terrace overlooking the mountains and the nearby Berber village. It's a good place to stay and I have no hesitation recommending it.

The desert, absolutely amazing. We trekked for about 2 hours before coming to the camp where we were to spend the night. Dinner was a feast - dish was called KahliLa (the spelling!) - a stew with ground beef, green peas, & tomatoes. It was served on a communal plate with bread placed around. Amazing food. We listened to the Berber drums before crashing for the evening...This was the quintessential/romantic Morocco I had envisioned/hoped for.

The ride back to Marrakech was a long and tiring one, and not so exciting since we had seen all the sights already on the way to the Sahara.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
89 posts
8. Re: Camel trekking - doubts
Save

The camel trekking in Erg Chebbi was definitely the highlight of my trip to Morocco. Absolutely awe-inspiring, and you can't quite believe your eyes. We trekked for about an hour or so to see the sunset and then continued onto a traditional Berber encampment where we stayed for the night. We had a chicken Tajine, the best tagine i have ever tested, delicious!. Listened to berber drums, and slept under the stars--the sky out there is just as amazing as the desert itself.

All in all, it was such a unique and unforgettable experience, I really can't recommend it highly enough!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
23 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: Camel trekking - doubts
Save

Could anyone through some costs out for the overnight trek out of Merzouga. In fact any other costs would be interesting as well.

Is it one camel per person or do you double up?

What time do most of the trips leave from?

Where there many outfits that you could choose from when you were setting up the trip?

Any risk of not being able to setting anything up for a given night?

Ifrane, Morocco
Level Contributor
85 posts
10. Re: Camel trekking - doubts
Save

The average cost for the overnight camel trek with camel guide, 1 camel per person, camp out in Bedouin tent, dinner, breakfast is around 300-400 dirhams. Of course, it all depends on which hotel, company, etc. you go with. Most hotels have their prices listed online or at the front desk. If you get to a place and they don't have the prices listed, it's because they work with touts, who can quote you any price they want.

Most camel treks take 1-2 hours to get to the site where the tents are set up. Therefore, you would leave the hotel 1-2 hours before sunset. This all depends on what season you are doing this. It gets much too hot mid-afternoon to do the camel trek. This is why you only leave closer to sunset.

Most guides and companies use the hotels in the area to organize camel treks for their clients. However, you don't need to set this up through a guide or company if you don't want to. When you're driving between Rissani and Merzouga, you will see many hotels on the edge of the desert. All you have to do is drive up to one and go through the hotel directly. There are many hotels in the area, but only a few are good. So choosing a good one is key.

The only reason you would not be able to do the camel trek and camp out would be if there is a sandstorm.