We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert trips in January?

Which Merzouga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
tog
Guildford,UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Desert trips in January?

We will be travelling with friends to Morocco in December/January. We plan to book a hotel in or near Merzouga. Can anyone tell me whether we should book to stay overnight in the desert for 1 night in early January or stay both nights in the hotel? What I am really asking is whether it is too cold to spend a night in a tent at that time? Has anyone been there/ done that and can give advice?

penna
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Desert trips in January?

the tourist industry had changed the desert line of hotels surely.

these days you can get both dune side hotels and burber tent camping in the dunes.

and you can get them from a rustic mad on teh sand or 10 by 10 candle lit room with no toilet , to tents with hot showers and air, to grand suits dune side with breakfast next to the heated pool.

from 5 euro a night to more then 100.00

if you can let me know what kinda budget you wish i can surely reccomend a good place.

also if you have the time i would reccomend you stay 2 nights there , one out in dunes on at a duneside hotel.

relax read talk to the local twareg burbers.

have a bottle of wine sitting on the big dune watching the sun set.

very romantic.

if you need more help post here , or email me at

comicman69@aol.com

nyc
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Desert trips in January?

Hi comic man,

me and my husband are planning a trip to the south of spian and morocco for the last week of dec.

From marrakech how far is it to Merzouga and what time do I have to leave marrakech in order to make the camel ride? Also how cold will it be in the last week on dec? can you suggest some sights i can look at for a camelride and night in the desert package.

Also from Merzouga i need to get to fez, how long is that?

3. Re: Desert trips in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 pm, September 18, 2007
4. Re: Desert trips in January?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, September 18, 2007
5. Re: Desert trips in January?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

Removed on: 8:57 am, September 20, 2007
penna
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Desert trips in January?

hi

i would say you would need to leave really early no later then 8 am to make it in time to take a camel ride to see the sun set.

if you have the extra day why not spend the 1st night in the gorges of either todra or dades.

Marrakech-Tensift-El...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desert trips in January?

how long does it take from Marrakech to Merzouga and whats the route? Is this a better option in December than quazarzatte?

penna
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Desert trips in January?

hi.

from marakexh you have to pass threw Ouarzazate after you drive over the canyons and sharp turned mntn road.

from there you drive tword er rachidia past the gorges of todhra and dades.

total driving is about 9 hours if you are lucky 2 or 3 days if not lol.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
56 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desert trips in January?

I have slept twice in a tent in the Sahara in January. It is cold. It's too cold to undress so you just go to bed in the clothes you're wearing and pile on as many blankets as you can find available. There is no heating whatsoever. To climb out in the morning to be greeted by the crisp, cold, sunny air is agreeable. Your breakfast will probably be the best you've ever appreciated. It's an experience, so make your choice. Would I do it a third time ???? yes... I think..., but only if I knew a good hot drink and some basic food to eat was waiting for me. Happy travelling.

Somerset
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desert trips in January?

Hi All

I did this trip in October,

Flew into Marrakech, then travelled to Ouarzazate on Day 1,

Day 2 Ouarzazate to Tinerhir

Day 3 Tinerhir to Merzouga

Day 4 Merzouga to Midelt

Day 5 Midelt to Fes

Lots of things to see on the way, and the driving isn’t too bad. Wouldn’t recommend doing it any quicker to be honest, by day 5 I was pleased to reach Fes for a few days rest.

The desert is great, had a brilliant time on the 4x4 tour, to be honest I wouldn’t have wanted to spend more than a good day followed by an overnighter. Make sure you get a good hotel as apart from the tours, that’s about all there is to do.