We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Merzouga
Search

Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi

5 posts
Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi
Save

This question has probably been asked, but I am traveling from Marrakesh to Merzouga and was concerned about the current safety situation of

1. Going on a private tour guide

2. Luxury camping in the Sahara Desert

How safe is it? With the recent news of the murders in December '18, and many of the camps being so close to Algeria I think it is fair for a relatively inexperienced traveler to ask.

7 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
193 reviews
126 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi
Save

Don´t be afraid, it is safe there. You can also do it by your self, not go on a private tour with a guide.

But, Erg Chebbi is not in Sahara, it is only the desert but Sahara begin first in Algeria. In Morocco first south of Guelmim.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
35 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi
Save

As far as anywhere is safe in the world, Morocco is.

If you are getting this Sahara Desert idea from any of these luxury tour companies or guides, drop them like a hot brick. They are lying to you. You won't be going anywhere near the Sahara.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
14,669 posts
68 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi
Save

In several parts of Morocco I have been within 100 metres of the Algerian border and there is nothing to fear.

At Erg Chebbi you will be almost 20 km from the Algerian border. The border is closely monitored with high-tech movement sensors and there has not be an excursion into Morocco in many many years. Although the Moroccan and Algerian governments are certainly not friends, the citizens of each country view themselves as fellow Amazighs.

Edited: 8:39 am, June 08, 2019
penna
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
45 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi
Save

You will both be safe and feel safe. No matter if you do this on your own or on a tour .

As said before you will not be in the Sahara nor near it but will see spectacular dunes of the Erg Chebbi. Also the camps are no longer allowed to be inside the dunes now. So camping is just out side the dunes. So you could stay in one of the dune side hotels and get the same views as many camping places.

I recommend hotel Yasmina ( google it to see the pictures). There you have a pool , electric, a lock on your bedroom door and toilets / showers. You might feel safer. You can take a camel ride right from there to see the sunset or sunrise right from the hotel followed by a nice meal.

Best if luck.

5. Re: Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:30 pm, June 08, 2019

penna
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
45 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi
Save

You can let your fears control you to the point of never leaving your house. Danger can happen any where and I would bet that more people are injured in their homes then on vacation in Morocco.

If you want a promise that nothing could happen to you. You surely will not get it. But I know for me staying in a hotel on the dunes I feel as safe as I do on Marrakech or my hometown for that matter. There are plenty of police in the area.

If this fear really does not let you go to Merzuga then I would avoid Marrakech as well , as the craziness there will surely terrify you.

7. Re: Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:30 pm, June 08, 2019

Reply to: Safety of Luxury Camps in Merzouga/Erg Chebbi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted