We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Spanish still spoken much in Chefchaouen?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Is Spanish still spoken much in Chefchaouen?

I don't speak French or Darija, but am fluent in Spanish. I have heard that Spanish is still used a bit in the north. Is that still the case? Thanks!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Spanish still spoken much in Chefchaouen?

Yes, you'll have no problem finding Spanish speakers. You will even find Spanish-style churros served with morning coffee in many places. Here's a map of what was the Spanish Protectorate until the 1950s: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/Morocc…

Xauen is Chefchaouen, Tetuán was the capital of the protectorate, nowadays Tetouan, Villa Alhucemas is modern day Al Hoceima.

Edited: 5:58 am, June 28, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Spanish still spoken much in Chefchaouen?

I found spanish to be hit or miss. I speak no french but can get around in Spanish and found very few people who spoke spanish. Usually its the older generation who speak spanish so try anyway but you might not have a lot of luck with the younger population.

In Tangier I found a few who spoke Spanish but i only spent a few hours in Chefochaouen so cant confirm about this little town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Spanish still spoken much in Chefchaouen?

Thanks! Years ago (1995) when I was in Tangier it seemed like a LOT of people spoke Spanish.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Spanish still spoken much in Chefchaouen?

Despite what was said in response #2, Spanish is widely spoken, old and young.

5. Re: Is Spanish still spoken much in Chefchaouen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 15, 2013