We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morocco Safety Now

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Morocco Safety Now

Hi--My daughter is studying in Spain and wants to go to Morocco for a weekend excusion that would include Tangiers, Tatuan and Chefchouen. How safe is it now with the unrest on the continent and now the Libyan armed conflict? She would be traveling with two other girls in their 20s and are taking a tour with Norther Star through Solchasers. Does anyone know anything about this group? Apparently, they have armed guards but I am not sure why. I would greatly appreciate any input ASAP. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Morocco Safety Now

There is a thread entitled ‘political unrest’ that will answer a large part of your question. General answer: morocco is safe.

As for the tour group, I can’t help.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
665 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Morocco Safety Now

Armed guards!! I think your daughter is pulling your leg. I’ve never heard of armed guards in Morocco (apart from maybe when travelling in the disputed western Sahara….which tourist just don’t go to). I also checked out the website for the company and it doesn’t mention anything about guns (thank god!).

Morocco is a very long way from Libya (both geographically and socially), and apart from a few heated demo’s (nothing different to any other year in reality), nothing is happening. Just keep an eye on the news and FO updates, but that would be advise I would offer even if there wasn’t any political unrest in the region.

Like alshda said, do a search on this forum (and the Lonely Planet forum…another very good place for accurate info) and you’ll see plenty of others asking the same thing and getting the same reply.

Don’t worry, she’ll be fine…..millions of others are every month.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Morocco Safety Now

Thanks so much, I appreciate the information and will check out the other site.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Morocco Safety Now

Thank you both for all your input. I am familiar with State Department travel advisories, but what are FO updates? I have not checked out Lonely Planet's website although we buy their books whenever we go anywhere....will do that too. The armed guard was something my daughter mentioned the tour operator was providing, but she might have said that just because she knew I was a little nervous about her going to North Africa right now. Of course, all it did was alarm me further....like why do they need armed guards if it is so safe? Just concerned because they are going 4 hours into the country instead of staying along the border. Thanks so much!

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,900 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Morocco Safety Now

Hi,

Have a look at this from the top questions box for general safety tips.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293730-i9195-k362…

and rest assured Morocco is a safe place to visit poilically

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
83 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Morocco Safety Now

I just returned last night. We were concerned with safety, as all of our friends and family thought we were nuts to go with all of the turmoil in the general region. We had no problems at all. We also saw and spoke with a lot of US college kids. That said, we did have a guide,- and the college kids we were with were in groups and did not travel alone or in pairs. If you are concered, perhaps you could have your daughter and friends go with a guide. They are inexpensive, and might give you peace of mind. In addition, your daughter is sure to see what she wants, and won't get hassled . Feel free to private message me. I have college kids and understand your concern.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Morocco Safety Now

FO =

Foreign Office

Chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Morocco Safety Now

Hi, I just came back from Morocco 2 days ago and had a fabulous time - there was not a moment I did not feel safe. I can't wait to go back! The locals truly admire their king, everywhere you go even in local shops you see pictures of him, the political climate is VERY different than what is going on in Libya.

I went with a group of 5 girls we are all in our early 30's. I also visited Chefchouen it is a small quaint town near the mountains and easy to navigate without a guide. I met a solo American female traveler there and she overall also had good experiences in Morocco. Another solo male traveler we met did get harassed a little , mainly for drugs in Chefchouen because they assumed he was looking for some - but if you ignore them they will leave you alone. Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Morocco Safety Now

Btw I used Your Morocco Tours and thought they were fabulous, they arranged a driver for us for to Chefchouen. Ibrahim was polite, respectful and looked out for us the entire time - highly recommend.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Morocco Safety Now

Thanks everyone for all your helpful insight!