We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

Durham, North...
4 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

Hi all,

I am planning to go to Ouarzazate next week and thinking of taking a look at Ait Ben Haddou before going to Sahara excursion on the next day.

Would it be safe and possible to get into Ait Ben Haddou at night (9pm-ish)? We will arrive in Ouarzazate at around 8pm. Hope there's some lights ready for visitors.

Also, does anyone know how late Atlas studio open?

Thank you in advance.

Lindsay

Maryland
Level Contributor
302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

Hi Lindsey,

I was just in Ait Benhaddou a few days ago and I wouldn't suggest trying to go at night. Assuming you'd be going to see the ksar, you won't be able to because it will be completely dark, as the houses don't have electricity. Also, there are two sides of the town, divided by a small river -- the ksar and the new town. Most of the people who give tours, etc. live in the new town, so they will have gone home by then. If you were really set on it, you may be able to come with a high-powered flashlight, but I don't know that there would be anyone to let you in.

Sorry for the bad news -- it's definitely a sight to see, but you won't get to experience any of that after dark. Depending on what time your Sahara excursion is the next day, maybe you could come see the ksar around sunrise -- the lighting is very nice then.

KAK

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

If you are travelling from Marrakech, Ait Ben Haddou and the Atlas studios are before Ouarzazate. Your timings may not be correct.

Durham, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

Thanks for the info! I might need to try before sunrise!

Durham, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

Thank you. I am taking a bus to Ouarzazate so won't be able to make a stop. Maybe I should consider taking a grand taxi instead.

5. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, May 07, 2011
Edited: 6:05 pm, May 07, 2011
6. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:00 pm, September 20, 2011
East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

Hi,

I too suggest not "seeing" Ait Ben at night.

Really, the best times to see places like this is in the dawn's early light or sunset. It's about a 5 hour drive from Ouarzazate to Erg Chebbi (I assume this is where you mean when you said "desert"?). So, you can either choose a hotel right at Ait Ben Haddou and get up with the dawn...then see the film studions and drive to Erg Chebbi afterwards...

Or stay in Ouarzazate, got to Ait Ben in the early morning and do the film studios on the return thru Ouarzazate and out to the desert.

You should have time to see Ait Ben Haddou, the film studios AND make it to the desert for a late afternoon camel-trek, if that's your plan. Don't expect to spend too long at the film studios. They're not that impressive, really.

cheers

Edited: 9:33 pm, May 07, 2011
Villanueva de la...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

i think is better to come to ouarzazate first then you could take a big taxi to kasbah ait benhadou with 20 dh with other people the taxi can take 6 places .

enjoy ait benhadou.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

missing9: "I am taking a bus to Ouarzazate so won't be able to make a stop. "

Assuming you are coming from Marrakech, get off the bus before you get to Ouarzazate at Tabouraht. This is a transport hub where you will be able to get a shared grand taxi to Ait Benhaddou which is about 8km to the north.

ait ben haddou
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Ait Ben Haddou at night?

hello

u are wellcome in morocco

to visite ait ben haddou is not possible at night thefre is no light at night and atlas studio it close at 18

it would be better if u give one day for visite ait ben haddou and the studio becouse its really intersting

all the best