We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

festival in the desert

dublin
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
festival in the desert

can anyone give me a suggestion do i need to buy tickets to the festival

is it better to organise myself in mali

thanks senija

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: festival in the desert

Tickets to which festival? Is there a web link?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: festival in the desert

Try here...

www.festival-au-desert.org/index.cfm…

Tell us all about it man, if you get there.

Jim

Sacramento...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: festival in the desert

Well, the festival is over for this year. What an amazing place. So for others asking this question about 2009 and beyond.....

I, or rather 4 of us, had a rather unfortunate occurrance at the gate of entry to the festival. We arrived late at night, tired and susceptible. A couple of very bright and helpful young men showed us their Festival ID badgges and began to help us buy tickets. They were rushing us, which should have tipped me off. Never the less, they got us tickets for at least 30% more than the price at the ticket counter 10 feet away from us.

Ultimately someone in charge of the ticket booth took responsibility for fixing things for us and our extra change was returned.

If you are with a group, I think the tour organizer should arrange this for you and make it work even though they all advertise that this cost is up to you. Once on the ground and riding the interminable hours through the gourgeous landscape you will have time to deal with this. Tell the guide what you want - that they negotiate the buying of tickets for you.

If you are on your own have plenty of CFA safely on your body. Then, when you get there, breath deep... you have arrived. And then go to the actual ticket counter to make your deal on the tickets there. Don't let others talk you into any other way of doing this.

The entry is not cheap, so how do Malians enter? It is a festival for Mali and there is no charge. As you pay your entry fee remember the conditions you have seen along your trip to get there and be appreciative of the people who helped get you here every step of the way.

The music is everywhere even when no one plays a thing, and the nights, when it all comes alive, are unforgetable..

Seattle
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: festival in the desert

Yes. You need to buy tickets to the Festival in the Desert, if that is what you mean. I went in 2008, and my friend and I had a guide with us who arranged for our tickets before we got to Timbuktu. I recommend that you purchase tickets carefully, and in advance, preferably through a reputable source such as a tour company. Mali is a poor country. The tickets help the economy, and the Toureg people,so be gracious about getting a ticket as a foreigner.Local people don't need tickets. You will also find plenty of people willing to trick you into buying an overpriced ticket if you arrive without one. And, as everyone says who has been to the Festival, it is a fantastic experience, worth every penny of the price of the ticket.

5. Re: festival in the desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Timbuktu
Recent Conversations