We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Timbuktu

Exeter,UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
driving to Timbuktu

Hi

Has anyone out there managed to drive from Nema, perhaps via Oulata, in Mauritania, to Timbuktu?

There appears to be a road(!) all the way east from Nouakchott to Nema but then very little evidence of a route further east into Mali and thence to Timbuktu.

It would certainly save having to drive all that way down to Bamako and then down the Niger to Timbuktu.

Andrew

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
2 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to Timbuktu

Have a look at www.nicksanders.com

Nick led a trip of 18 motorcyclists and a support wagon to Timbuktu in January 2007, and will again in January 2008. Their route was Nema to Timbuktu.

Hope that helps.

Tim Fairless

Exeter,UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to Timbuktu

Many thanks for the information, Tim. Nick's website appears to be non-specific about route, so I guess I'd better buy the merchandise!

Andrew

Paris, France
Level Contributor
56 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to Timbuktu

We did Mopti to Timbuktu in a 4x4 in 2007. Took about two days. There is a road but it's so bad that everybody drives on the tracks alongside the road. Quite a few places along the road to get water (wells).

Togo
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to Timbuktu

For the one who drove from Mopti to Timbuktu, did you camp alongside the road?

Were you in your own 4x4 or did you rent/hire one?

And most important of all, did you feel safe? Was it safe?

Thank you.

Murphy

Paris, France
Level Contributor
56 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to Timbuktu

Can't advise on safety etc. We were in a group of 6 with a tour guide. We camped in the dunes and there appeared to be no trouble. Some of the six slept in sleeping bags in the open. It appears to be O.K but hopefully somebody can give more details. Personally, I thing there are no problems. I felt no risk or danger.

Togo
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to Timbuktu

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate your help.

What time of year did you go? We are considering going in late August and wonder if they road would be flooded.

Also, when you said it took two days, was that two full days, or one full day and the second partial day.

And finally, was it worth it?

Thanks again!

Murphy

Paris, France
Level Contributor
56 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to Timbuktu

we went in January and the weather was good. Not too hot during the day and fresh at night. Can't give any comment on travel in August. We took two full days but we were'nt in a hurry and stayed one night in Dogon country. Personally, I prefer travelling on the river. If I did it again I'd travel via the river but that is just my personal choice. But if you've got the time, take your time as the country is superb and the people are superb also. Happy travels.

Togo
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: driving to Timbuktu

I really appreciate your help! Staying one night in Dogon land would explain the extra day. Can you tell me where you stayed?

Thanks soooo much.

Murphy

Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving to Timbuktu

Andrew

If you search the Sahara Forum on the Hubb, you should find a good few posts about the Nema - Timbuktu route.

horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/…

Donncha

London
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: driving to Timbuktu

I drove to timbuktu from Bamoko! What a wonderful experience. I picked up a cheap car hire from http://www.carhirex.com/car-rental/MALI/. The road is terrible but worth the drive. The people there are so friendly and timbuktu was worth the long drive.

Get answers to your questions about Timbuktu
Recent Conversations