We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

Which Pulau Redang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

Hi all,

My partner and I are planning a trip to Malaysia in August this year. We can go at any time during August and hope to spend up to 12 days there. We are unsure of where to spend our time, so thought I would post a question on this forum to get some help!

Little bit about us - we live in New Zealand and are in our early 30's. We like holidays that include a mixture of relaxing time, and also adventure. We want to go somewhere that has great beaches for swimming, snorkelling and sunbathing; good shopping; a decent selection of bars, restaurants etc. To give you an idea of what we love - we went to Bali a couple of years ago in August and loved it, as it has a perfect mix of luxury hotels with beautiful pools, awesome beaches for swimming, fantastic weather (not a drop of rain), great restaurants/nightlife (busy and fun), good shopping and of course the Balinese people and their culture was amazing.

So far, I am thinking that we would fly in to KL for 2/3 nights and then head to either the West coast (Langkawi or Penang) or perhaps the East cost (Pulau Redang) maybe?

Would you guys recommend doing both the East and West coast?

Have I missed any islands or cities that could match what we are looking for?

Weather is a BIG thing for us, so if any destination is not suitable due to rain/overcast days please let me know!

Thank you!

Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

East Coast...Terengganu only famous with Redang Island and Perhentian island. The beaches is white powder and blue crystal water . You can get information by seeing video and photo for both islands..then later you can decide which are the best islands to visit. For me..Redang and Perhentian are the best islands..compare to Langkawi...

pulauperhentian.org/InformationPerhentianIsl…

www.redangisland.org/RedangHistory.html

Hope its will help you to get clear picture.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

Definitely agree, east coast!

Redang, Perhentian, Tioman, Kapas...you have plenty of choice. For me too Redang and Perhentian are the best islands.

Auckland
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

Thank you for your message! I'll check out the videos tonight.

Do the places you have recommended have enough happening, or are they more just beach places (eg Lankawi sounds like there is lots more to do outside of the beach (eg shopping, restaurants, nightlife).

I know that weather is impossible to predict, but what's the weather like in August for all places?

Many thanks!

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

It depend what you are looking for?! Are you looking for place to relax or you wanna go around and do other activites?!

For beach side i would recommend you the east cost as the previous travelers did. But than you will only have your room, white sand beach, and the lovley clear crystal water.

Langkawi and Penang are much bigger i guess and there is roads, waterfalls, beachs, shopping area, cable car, etc. I liked and prefered langkawi more than penang. By the way penang is just 2-2.30hours by ferry from Langkawi.

Have fun.

Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

For Perhentian Island..most of night have nothing to do...except Long Beach , Perhentian Kecil..where a few people..have beach party there...

Redang Island at Long Beach...you can have nightlife..either at Laguna Redang / Redang Beach and Redang Pelangi...

Langkawi Island more for shopping ,restaurant and night life.. ..not for beaches/snorkeling or diving.

August is consider High Peak season...weather are the best time..for traveling to Islands..

Auckland
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

Thank you so much for the replies above! Really great info. The East cost (Pulau Redang) look like it would be perfect for a few nights. We are thinking that perhaps we will do KL, then both the east and west coast so we can still see Langkawi too. From recent weather reports, it sounds like it's a good time to go to the east coast, however looks like we could be set for lots of rain in KL or Langkawi....?

Any tips on the best areas to stay in, in KL? We like to be central, amongst everything and in nice accommodation (which I can source if you suggest any better areas).

Sheffielduk
Level Contributor
630 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

Hi

1st look at a really good set of weather stats for August.

Our impression is that the big hotels have sown up the best beaches on Langkawi. The public beaches have few facilities neither sunloungers or parasols and without these you get really hot and BURN!

Where you stay depends on your bugdet and your own research. The Andaman bay has the best beach by reputation but at a desperate price at the Datai. The Andaman is cheaper and has a good reputation if you like that sort of hotel. I think you are just going tohave to spend hours on the internet looking at hotel websites and read a guide book.. If you like a choice of bars and restaurants your are looking at the Pentai Tengah strip or thereabouts. Snorkelling opportunities I know nothing about..

Penang has more places to visit and is interesting in and around Georgetown, UNESCO site etc. The beaches on Penang are a disappointment and currently are rumoured to be polluted. Snorkelling I know nothing about.

Have a nice trip

8. Re: WHERE TO GO?! Langkawi or Penang or Pulau Redang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 19, 2015