We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving Ban in Redang

oksimple
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Diving Ban in Redang

I have just seen news releases that suggest diving will be banned throughout Redang from July 2 - Oct 3 2010. Having last week booked a diving trip in August, feeling a bit cheated.

Does anyone know the extent of this ban? Will any diving be possible? Is it limited to certain dive sites or across the whole marine park?

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

This was widely covered in the papers today

thestar.com.my/news/story.asp…

thestar.com.my/news/story.asp…

oksimple
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

Thank you, I saw the article too.

I was interested to learn from people whether there is still some diving permitted from Redang or a complete ban across all the possible dive sites?

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

Not knowing anyone going or speaking to anyone about it today, but reading the article I gathered that there was going to be no diving/snorkeling at all allowed. And the dive sites closed temporarily.

Don't know if the dive schools etc, may have had much notice.

Suppose you will be able to cancel and get any money paid back. But can understand your disappointment.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

Hi,

We are just back from 1 week on Perhentians, just up from Redang. You can commute between the two by speedboat but that would waste time and be costly. I can report the diving there is superb - no restrictions whatsoever. We only just completed our basic open water course but the resort was full of experienced divers who seemed to be pretty happy. I dont know if the report of ban on Redang is true or not ( can't see how divers are causing coral bleaching - more likely over development of the island and woeful wastewater treatment/discharge). If you can change, go to Bayu Dive Lodge and Alu Alu Divers (western run and populated). Good Luck. Dave, KL

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

I wonder if the Berjaya Redang is still being allowed to pollute the marine environment with its banana boats and jet ski? I was shocked this was allowed near any reefs.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

You can dive at redang. The only problem is that the water tempeture raised 1 degree in 1 year, so almost all the coral is bleached. And there is a lot of broken coral too. I was very dissapointed!!

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

4 dive sites are to be closed. Initially only 1 site was closed but 3 more have since been added. Diving/snorkeling should not be too badly effected as there are another 20 sites unaffected.

Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

diving ban in redang is only for certain dive sites. there are still plenty of other sites to choose from and i am sure the dive operator will head towards such sites.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

You can dive, it's not closed, at least not two weeks ago it was

Malaysia
Level Contributor
63 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving Ban in Redang

Only a few diving/snorkeling spot was closed due to maintenance, and the news on banning was UNTRUE.