We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange and getting to Perhenetian

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
710 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
money exchange and getting to Perhenetian

Hi all,

We're flying from S'pore (coming from Belgium) to Redang.

We would like to go to perhentian after this.

2 problems/questions:

What would be the best way to pay (on Redang and Perhentian).

We take our Credit card and bank card, but how to pay for food, drinks, travel, extra's

Take US$ or Euro, S$ in cash or US$ traveller cheques (and exchange locally to MYR)

Or should we get plenty of MYR cash in Singapore (if possible)

How long would ik take to go from Redang to Perhentian?

What would be the cost.

Thank you in advance

Jan

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Redang Beach Resort
Redang Beach Resort
244 Reviews
Pulau Redang, Malaysia
Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money exchange and getting to Perhenetian

Hi Jan, hope I can address some of your Qs:

On payment for stuff - you will need to pay in Ringgit Malaysia. Some high-end resorts do accept credit cards, but cash is the way to go.

On getting currency exchange - if you happen to stop by KL or other major cities in Malaysia before you embark on the boats to Redang & Perhentian, there should be no need to exchange MYR in Singapore.

On travel distance - there are quite a number of express buses that go to the state of Terengganu, where these two islands are located. Journey is usually overnight (about 450km from Singapore or Johor Bharu).

Redang & Perhentian - these are two separate islands, with distance of about 50 km to each other. More importantly, the embarkation jetties are different. Redang = MERANG jetty, Perhentian = KUALA BESUT jetty.

Anyhow, do visit http://www.malaysia-islands.com for more info + photos from both Redang & Perhentian. And don't hesitate to post more questions if you have any.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Terengganu
Terengganu
Malaysia
Redang Beach Resort
Redang Beach Resort
244 Reviews
Pulau Redang, Malaysia
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
710 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money exchange and getting to Perhenetian

Hi,

I see my reply has disappeared, so i try again.

We will fly directly from singapore to Redang, not entering penninsula Malaysia first.

That's the main reason, I do not have MYR.

Concerning getting to Perhentian.

Is going by boat, bus, boat a trip you can do in one day (will we make it in time for the boat leaving for Perhentian).

What would the price be for this trip?

A direct boat from Redang to Perhentian must be faster (and only??? somewhat more expensive).

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers,

Mentioned in this post
Redang Beach Resort
Redang Beach Resort
244 Reviews
Pulau Redang, Malaysia
Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money exchange and getting to Perhenetian

If your flight is direct from Seletar to Redang, then you will need to exchange for some MYR in Singapore. Don't worry, there should be plenty of places in Singapore for that.

Direct transfer from Redang to Perhentian does exist, but it will cost a lot. I'm not surprised if the boatman ask for RM500 for the transfer. There's no regular ferry schedule or anything like that connecting these two islands.

Boats to Perhentian from KUALA BESUT jetty depart every hour, say from 8am to 6pm. From Redang, you will need to return to MERANG jetty early morning, 9am or 10am is fine, and arrive at MERANG jetty one hour later. From MERANG jetty, find a taxi that can transfer you to KUALA BESUT jetty (2 hours away).

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Redang Beach Resort
Redang Beach Resort
244 Reviews
Pulau Redang, Malaysia
4. Re: money exchange and getting to Perhenetian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:28 am, October 04, 2009