We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

singapore
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

hi,my family and few other families are planning a driving trip to Terengganu in June from Singapore.We were in Kuantan Nirwana Resort last March but the beach is quite a disappointment.I reccomm Awana Kijal Resort but my husband said that we shud go to Redang insted due to beaches are more beautiful n great for sun n sea for the children that ranges from age 3-12.I don't think it's a good idea as we need to take a ferry to Redang.Please tell me that I am wrong about above matter.Also,appreciate how to get to Redang from Singapore n to recomm nice resorts in Redang or Terengganu(we drove 10hrs from Singapore to Kuantan on our last trip)>Thank you

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

Well, Kuantan is not much of a beach town. If you are driving to Redang, there is a problem of parking the car somewhere on the mainland and you will have to ensure that no one steals the car. You can only go into redang with the ferry. There has been cases last year where the ferry lacks security and no emergency planning when it catches fire. Also, you will have to stay in your hotel in Redang all the time and there is nothing much to do there. If you really want to go to Redang, you can take a bus from a tour agency - Golden Mile or Misa Travel in Pearl Centre (www.hotels.com.sg). That saves you the trouble of driving overnight (about 10 hours to drive 0r 600km) and parking the car somewhere. I seriously don't think that your 3 year old can stand the long drive without complaining. Hotels that are very popular in Redang is the Berjaya Redang and the Laguna Redang Resort.

Else you can think about Tioman (berjaya Tioman)since there is a direct flight by berjaya air (www.berjaya-air.com) from Seletar to tioman.

Or you can just stick to the nice beaches of Terengganu and stay in a nice resort like Tanjung Jara Resort journeymalaysia.com/islandtanjungjararesort.…

which is about 70 km south of Kuala Terengganu. Your husband and youself could go for a nice spa treatment and the kids can play by the kiddie pool or the playground with the maids. You can also take time to venture to kuala terengganu for nice and cheap seafood in chinatown. Have a nice relaxing holiday with no rush!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

from singapore, u must drive until kulai,johor. after that u follow muadzam, pahang. then all d way until kuala terengganu. then u must park yr car and take ferry. its very hard actually to drive all the way coz no highway until there... laguna redang is the best...

Italia
Level Contributor
74 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

I also will go in Redang in June. I have not yet an hotel reserved but i will consider the Berjaia Beach Resort or the Laguna Resort as suggested by the other person wo answered you.

I will stay there 4 days. Longer time, I think that is too much in a Island.

What I don't know is: wich hotel between this two as the best beach?

singapore
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

Hi.. thank you for all your sugg,i really appreciate it very much.looks like if the guys prefer to drive to nice beach resort then Redang is out.Actually,i have been reading alot about Tanjong Jara n so far no neg comment BUT is pretty pricey n I tot Awana Kijal Resort is best alternative.Looks like back to the drawing board but please feel free to give further sugg.thks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

4 days is just nice because traveling willl already take half a day to and fro.

Tanjong jara is not expensive at the moment. If you read the webpage i gave you, they are offering stay one night free one night discount. It all comes up to RM 380 per room per night which i think is pretty fair.

singapore
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

Thank you Global Traveller2000 for sharing great info on Tanjung Jara fabulous deals.Wil infrm the rest of the crew and hopefully everybody opt for it.

singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

Hi

Driving to get to Redang resorts

Please do not drive to get there for the following practical reasons.

1.Its a long 10 to 12 hour drive given there is not much of an organised highway to drive on... only parts of the NS highway and EW highway is used to get there. The samll link raods that take you from part of the NS to parts of the EW then using the small trunk roads to get to KT is not a "good drive"

2. After having arrived at KT you will have to figure out MARANG JETTY from MERANG JETTY. The first is the jetty that takes you to another beautiful one island one resort called Pulau Gemai and the other to Pulau Redang. Both jetties have parking lots but they are far from secure and safe to park in for X nbr of days..

3. The best alternative is to book a coach transfer from the various operators at Golden Mile.As well as your hotel accomodation and tranfers by ferry to Pulau Redang. The coaches are comfortable enough but the ride to KT is still as torturous.. 11 hours with 3 pit stops in between and they usually leave Singapore at about 8pm and gets to the jetty at around 7-8am the following morning

Redang Resorts

1. There's really a dearth to choose from.Berjaya and Laguna being the bigger of the lot naturally get more clientelle.They are around 3 and a half star standards. The Laguna enjoys the whole accesibility extent of the more popular west side beach front. Good sunsets.Berjaya (more than a tad better than Laguna) is at the sunrise side of Pulau Redang and its private beach is not accesible to the west side beach front eexcept by boat transfers which Berjaya incidentally provides.

2. In between there are at least eight other resorts

on the west side mostly at the most 3 star ones.Some are quite spartan but provide you with reasonably decent meals.Alternatively, you may eat at the Laguna

3. Should you choose to stay at the Laguna, take a room or room/s sited on higher floors to prevent you swim things getting filched when you leave them on the balcony to dry off.In any case do not leave you things in the balcony unattended. Go thru the Redang forum and you will see that its a truism!!!

Things you must do at Redang

1.Go to the Marine Park

2.Go on the resorts' organised snorkelling tour... its normally part of your package if you book a fullboard package from the travel people at Golden Mile.

3. Go squid jiggling

Things you must have with you

1. SUNBLOCK... its expensive to buy it there... captive market

Things you MUST NOT buy

1. All forms of corals and shells.It is a Malaysian Marine Conservation show piece and hub. You can get into trouble with the Authorities.

I you want to buty souvenier Ts at the ferry Jetty HAGGLE LIKE THERES NO TOMORROW!!! Practice.. there are enough stalls selling the same Ts and hats and etc etc for you to try out!!

All in all its not too bad a place

Have fun

White Sand...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

I am a regular who drives to Pulau Perhentian every June. In fact, it's much further than Redang. You mention that it takes 10 hours for you to reach Kuantan. Usually, I leave my house in Pasir Ris by 7 am and by 8.45am, I would b having my breakfast in Mersing. I would b reaching Kuantan by 12 noon. I would normaally reach Kuala Trengganu (KT) by 3.30pm.

I look forward to my drive to KT and it's actually very safe to park at the mainland when you head to the islands coz the parking are very secure.

There's some misinformation about the route. There's 2 ways to get to KT. One is by Mersing, Pekan route (which is my favourite). One is by NS highway, using the Segamat-Muadzam Shah route.

You don't use the EW (east-west) highway to get to KT unless you are from the northern west states of Msia.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

I think resortman meant the East Coast Expressway, ECE or (Malay: Lebuhraya Pantai Timur) which starts from Karak highway till Kuala terengganu. The last section to Kota Bahru will be done quite soon and ready for opening next year. Then it will a faster drive to Kota Bahru?Perhentians.

EW highway Lebuhraya Timur-Barat/kedua links Grik to Gua Musang and Gua Musang- Cameron highlands - Tasik Kenyir to Kuantan. First phase Gua Musang-CH is built and ready but not the Kenyir to kuala terengganu route.

singapore
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving trip from Singapore to Terengganu

Thanks globaltraveller for clarifying. Thats what I meant.

Rgds

resortman singapore