We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

Which Pulau Perhentian Besar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

I am finding this very confusing! Can anyone please suggest the best way to travel from Langkawi to the Perhentian Islands. I am not sure about all the options? Thank you Jeanette

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

Hi Jeanette, I would go via Kuala Perlis. Ferry from Langkawi to Kuala Perlis, then a bus to Kota Bharu

www.journeymalaysia.com/ptakualaperlis.htm#2

From KB bus station a taxi to Kuala Besut pier then boat!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

It just crossed my mind that we could hire a car and drive from Langkawi to Kuala Besut pier. Does anyone think this is a good idea and how long/cost it would take?. Thank you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

Im thinking more about this self driving idea...how does this sound..We could catch the ferry across to Kuala Perlis then pick up a car (if possibble..I'm nor sure if any rental companies do this) then drive across to Kota Bharu and maybe leave the car at the airport there..then catch taxi to Kuala Besut???

There seems to be 3 main routes to travel with 2 going along the east coast down to Kota Bharu but these cross the Thai border and then back to Malaysia..I'm wondering if this is safe to do or not too?

Another alternative is ferry to Penang and pick a car up from there....again I'm not sure which car rental company to contact.....sorry so many questions but any help would be greatly appreciated..thank you

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

Both Kuala Perlis and Kuala Besut are small towns; I doubt you will be able to find any car rental companies based at either location.

There is no need to go into Thailand. The East-West Highway that goes via Gerik and Jeli connects Kota Bharu on the east coast with Kedah and Penang on the west coast.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

Thank you for your reply...I was just looking at the Thailand routes only because they seemed to go along the East coast abit but I was worried about the boarder crossings. Maybe I will stick with the highway you mentioned. Do you think this is a good idea?? to self drive that is?

Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

The scenic East West Highway is better as you will pass virgin jungle, hilly terrain, lakes, malay kampung etc. It worth driving.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

Thats great thank you. My immediate problem though is who/how to rent a car from. Its seems that Kuala Perlis id the closest place to get to from Langkawi but I cant seem to find a rental company there. Any help here would be very much appreciated..or do I need to go somewhere else to hire a car...I was hoping it would not be too difficult to hire from Langkawi. Thank you again everyone for you wonderful help.

Level Contributor
143 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

Nearest place where you can get rental car with drop off at other location is Alor Star, Not sure about Kuala Perlis though.

A drive to perhentian is very long, more than 9 hours, i usually break journey 1 night at Banding, nice lake with rain forests all around.

MALAYSIA
Level Contributor
185 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

If time is a factor, take the ferry to Penang, and board the Firefly that connects Penang to Kota Bahru

Grasse, France
Level Contributor
195 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Langkawi to Perhentian Islands

You can take a short fly (or ferry) to Penang and Penang to KB. Firefly is a very good and rather cheap airline (if you book early) with modern planes.