We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight/boat connection question

UK
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flight/boat connection question

Hi

I am planning a trip in a few months time to Malaysia and Singapore, and would like to incorporate a few nights on Perhentian Besar. The Air Asia flight from KL would arrive in Kota Bahru at around 2.30pm. Would this allow us enough time to get a cab to Kota Besut and get a boat to Besar that same day, or would we need to stay overnight Kota Besut in and get the boat across the next morning. As we are on quite a tight schedule, I'd like to go straight across to the Perhentians that afternoon if poss.

The other alternatives I am considering are Redang and Langkawi.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as I'm struggling a bit to plan this part of the trip!!

Thanks

Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight/boat connection question

Hi kate

Seem you will reach to Kota Bharu airport at 2.30pm,you still have time to reach Perhentian Island on same day ,its because the last boat at 5.00pm .From Kota Bharu airport to Kuala Besut jetty will take 1 hour only .We assume you reach there at 4.00pm.

Redang Island just 1 hour from Perhentian Island by speed boat,fare around RM700 per way.By Charted the boat.

UK
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight/boat connection question

Hi. Thanks for the reply, as the last boat is 5pm then we should make it across to the islands the same day then, which is great news. Do we book the boat in advance or will we be ok just to turn up on the day? Thanks

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
512 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight/boat connection question

Hi Katey

Some resorts have their own boats and do a pick up from the airport and the ferry trip across as an add on cost. We've used this service twice from Tuna Bay Resort, so possibly ask your resort if they do the same.

We've been to Langkawi as well and both are beautiful, but if its snorkelling in clear sea you're after, then I'd choose Perhentians any day.

Hope that helps.

UK
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight/boat connection question

Hi, thanks for that tip! Will defintley ask the accomodation about this when I have made a final decision! I think I would like to book everything in one go if poss. Langkawi is tempting because you can fly straight there, but have heard so much good stuff about the Perenthians. Would you recommend tuna bay? Thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight/boat connection question

Perhentians is beautiful, we were married and honeymooned there and loved every minute. The snorkelling was fabulous, especially if you get to see turtles and the coral was amazing - hire a boat to take you out to some of the snorkelling sites, well worth it.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
512 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight/boat connection question

I'm not sure if I would recommend Tuna Bay, the chalets were not well furnished and overall it was very basic, but the situation was very nice especially when we stayed in a beach front chalet.

Our last trip there was in July 2 years ago and it was a bit windy, so we ended up walking to Coral View where it was protected. The beach was lovely there as was the snorkelling,but I don't know what the resort is like.

Read up on the latest reviews as there could be new places built or upgrades at existing resorts in the meantime.

The Perhentians were definitely the best island we've been to for snorkelling.

UK
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight/boat connection question

HI. Thanks for the replies. It sounds like we should stick with the Perhentians! Just need to pick a place that looks nice and still has sea front cabins available! I think I have read all these reviews dozens of times! It's hard to pick - when you only have a few nights there you want to make the right choice!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight/boat connection question

Coral View are nice, we stayed there and really liked it, plus it's in a good position as you can walk to the beach at Perhentian Island Resort (it's not private) or around the other side, plus you can snorkel off the beach at Coral View and there is a bit to see.

UK
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight/boat connection question

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Coral View is probably top of our list now! Was the food there nice? And was it easy to walk to other places to eat too? We are thinking of staying 5nights on the island, to relax after KL and Singapore.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight/boat connection question

Food was ok, but to be honest the food wasn't that great anywhere, quite limited menus. We used to walk along the beach to Mama's Chalets for their fresh fish dinners, which were good. Sadly, it's not like Penang or Kuala Lumpur, we found the food quite basic, although that was a number of years ago and things may have improved since then.

Get answers to your questions about Pulau Perhentian Besar