We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I do a trip to The turtle island park without staying ov

Great Harwood...
Level Contributor
97 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Can I do a trip to The turtle island park without staying ov

I really want to go to the turtle island park but don't want to stay overnight. Does anyone know if I could go on an organised trip and return the same day?

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I do a trip to The turtle island park without staying ov

The turtles come ashore at night, so if you don't stay overnight you won't see anything much.

Great Harwood...
Level Contributor
97 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I do a trip to The turtle island park without staying ov

Yeah I know, I just thought some of the tour groups may run evening trips.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I do a trip to The turtle island park without staying ov

I don't think there any tours doing evening trips, other than the one where you stay overnight on Libaran island.

Alexandra Vic...
Level Contributor
392 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I do a trip to The turtle island park without staying ov

I am pretty sure you have to stay overnight due to safety issues, sometimes the turtles don't come ashore until 11 or 12 at night. It is one of the best things we have ever done . A relaxing day on the beach snorkelling followed by waiting for those majestic animals to arrive . It is not 5* by any stretch but if you are going to Sandakan it is a must. Happy Travels

london
Level Contributor
963 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I do a trip to The turtle island park without staying ov

Hi there

The turtles only lay their eggs after dark and you are only allowed on the beach with a ranger once the sun has set to avoid disturbing them.

It is a really special experience and not to be missed if you can.

Happy travels

Kota Kinabalu...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I do a trip to The turtle island park without staying ov

Hi scoa, there used to be a company that did this illegally but that has now been stopped. Basically as mentioned, the turtles only come onshore at night and Sabah parks thus does not allow boats to come in and out of the island past 5 or 6pm to avoid scaring away or hurting the turtles. Would recommend staying overnight but don't expect too much of the accommodation as it is pretty basic. 1 night is enough. Also do visit Sukau if you have the time to see animals in their natural habitat instead of just Sepilok. Good luck!

7. Re: Can I do a trip to The turtle island park without staying ov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 27, 2014