We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

Which Sandakan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

Hi all,

Would like some useful comments or information regarding self-drive from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan/ and return. I will stay in Sandakan for 2 nights. Any eateries along this route, e.g. for lunch, rest break? Furthermore, where are the gas stations located along the route? I want to make sure I have enough to travel the entire route. I will be renting a Hyundai Matrix.

Thanks.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

Hi Vincent!

There is no problem to drive from Kota Kinabalu to Sandakan. It is only about 333 km which takes you about 4-5 hours drive. There are many shops and eateries along the road. Ranau is a small town after you pass the Kinabalu National Park. Many gas station but if your car is full tank there is no problem to reach Sandakan.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

hi there, just wondering did you end up doing the self-drive ? we are going Jan 2012, looking at all the possible places and accomodation, transportation. thank you.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,241 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

A piece of cake to drive this route,the road direction are clearly indicated.

Ranau is a good place to stop for a rest.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

Hi,

I did end up doing the self-drive from Kota Kinabalu to Sandakan and back in early April 2011. I stopped in Ranau for lunch and also visited the Sabah Tea Plantation and Kg. Moroli "natural" fish spa too. The views around Kinabalu National Park are spectacular.

Be aware of the numerous and large potholes from Sandakan and all the way to Ranau. The drive took 6 hours due to slow traffic (palm oil plantation trucks), potholed pavement and construction work by Kundasing.

Remember to fill up gas at Ranau as there does not seem to be another gas station afterwards up until near Sandakan.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,940 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

Agree with Vincent. Fill up petrol at Ranau, as otherwise the only petrol station after that is at Telupid.

Journey took me about 5.5 hours.

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

Since we will self-drive to Kinabalu Park, we were thinking to continue our trip to Sandakan self-drive too. May I know the road condition from Kinabalu Park to Sandakan? Other than Ranau, any town to stop by to take a short break?

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,940 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

@Zhiyun, all your questions already answered in the previous posts.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,241 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

The road from KK park to Sandakan is a breeze,only need to look out for logging truck.

Cheers

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

You need to look out for the huge potholes after Kinabalu National Park.

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan

Hi there, really interested in your posting about driving from KK to Sandakan. My husband and I are going in August and are really excited as well as quite confused and overwhelmed by the amount of things to do.

Can you recommend a good place to hire a car in KK? Did you do a one way trip? We would like to know if we can leave the car in sandakan as we would like to fly from Sandakan to Kuala Lumpur after.