We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Island - advice?

London
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Turtle Island - advice?

Hi

We are wanting to go to Turtle Island, but I just wanted to check, are the turtles out every night? Knowing our luck we will book to find it's only certian months of the year! Also, how is it best to book - we are going in August, but have been warned that you need to book massively in advance?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Lucy

UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

Hi Lucy,

I been there few times and happened to see turtle came out each time and laid eggs too. I don't know whether is there a season or not, or just our luck, anyway, You will love it, have fun there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

Hi MemeUK,

Can you let us know when, during the year, you went?

thanks

Joseph

lancashire
Level Contributor
72 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

They are said to lay every night of the year and therefore hatch every night.Certainly when we went in May we were tripping over the babies heading for the sea! It was brilliant!

UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

Hi Jkee12, I'm sorry I couldn't remember what month we were there simply b'cos we stayed in Sabah for few years. That's why I know a bit here and there in Sabah, I'm happy to help if you need some.

Cheers.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

Hi Lucy,

Turtles nest most nights of the year at Turtle island, but are most frequent from June-October. We were there in February and they had gone a long time since the last turtle-free night. So basically, keep your fingers crossed but you should be fine!

You can book with a travel agent here such as Trailfinders, book online with a local tour operator (Dutch friends have recommended Olaf's Borneo), or risk it and book when you get there. We booked with a travel agent (just the trip) but if that's a bit tricky, all tour operators are licenced with the tourist board and of a similar standard and price, so you should be fine booking online.

Also if you're flying out to Sandakan anyway, you could link your trip with a visit to Sukao and/or Sepilok to see Proboscis monkeys and Orang Utans.

Good luck!

Fiona

London
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

Thanks for all this advice - think we will book when we get there - very excited!

wimbledon, london
Level Contributor
43 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

My fiancee and I are going there in Mid August and have had trouble booking turtle island. It depends how tight you are time wise or whether you are flexible. We only had a 2 day window and one of those days was booked up already.

If you really want to go book online and you should get it about 1/2 the price that I could find quoted to me in the UK.

Hope this helps and may see you there!

london
Level Contributor
976 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

Hi Lucy

Am going in April and was told in early January that the island's lodge was full the day I wanted it !

Settled for a fairly decently-priced 4 night trip with the owners of the Sepilok Jungle Resort which includes one night on Turtle Island.

IRE 123

Kuala Selangor...
Level Contributor
372 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

August should be OK.

That's why it is called Turtle Island. Almost every nite and you can't miss em.

And, while laying eggs saw em cry (in layman terms)...huhu. The hatch part is more fun!

Enjoy!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle Island - advice?

Hi we were there in January and there were no turtles (our guide said -I think this is correct that in Jan and Feb you have ~ a 2 in 3 chance of seeing them). We still got to see hatchlings and it was a great trip, I would go again and stay 2 nights.