We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is is easy to travel from Sandakan to kota kinabalu by road?

Sydney
1 post
Save Topic
Is is easy to travel from Sandakan to kota kinabalu by road?

We are spending 18 days in Malaysia in October and would like to find our own way around. I want to avoid spending all my time in airports and flying from place to place.

Arrivew and leave from KL, would like to visit Sandakan, Kota Kinabalu, Brunei and Penang.

Any ideas for alternative travel, and to see a bit of the countryside?

Annie

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is is easy to travel from Sandakan to kota kinabalu by road?

Hi Annie, from KL, you can decide your next leg to be either at Penang or continue into Borneo(i.e. Sabah: Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan). Brunei is sandwiched between Sabah and Sarawak, which is geographically known as East Malaysia.

A road journey by coach from KL to Penang, takes around 5-6hours. Few coach companies ply these routes,and my suggestions are for those that,if given this option, will also select- Plusliner, Aeroline, Transnasional.

Plusliner departs from KL old railway station, whereas Aeroline departs from a suburban shopping mall- IUTama(around 30-45minutes distant by road from KL city centre), whereas Transnasional departs from Puduraya bus terminal, which is about 8-10minutes walk from Petaling Street(Chinatown).

These coaches terminates in Penang,at Sungai Nibong bus terminal, which is around 30minutes distant by road,into Georgetown on Penang island.

If you decide that your first leg is Borneo, then you need a flight from KL into Kota Kinabalu. You could consider Malaysian Airlines or the no frill airline-AirAsia. Flight duration: KUL-KK:- 2 hours 30mins.

Then from KK, you can decide to take the road to Sandakan or by Air Asia(flight time: KK to Sandakan:- 45minutes). I have not done the road journey from KK to Sandakan. Though it does offer you opportunity to see more of KK outskirts, like the town of Tuaran,and also the village of Tamparuli(where on Wednesday, there is a colourful traditional market), then you will be heading on the route # A4 to Ranau, which is a tribal community of the Kadazandusun, this is situated on Kinabalu's cool foothills. I reckon, this road journey with stops along the way, will take at least 7hours to reach Sandakan-though best to post this question in TA's Sabah forum.

In Sandakan, its popular sights/places to go:- Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre and a trip to the island of Selingan(Turtle Island). One could choose to stay overnight, so as to have the opportunity to catch sight of leatherback turtles coming on shore to lay eggs at crack of dawn.

Then, you can choose to take a flight back to KK from Sandakan, which takes around 45minutes.

From KK, you can then take a direct AirAsia flight into Penang from KK, which takes 2hrs 50mins.

As for Brunei, I have, but not from Sabah, but from Miri(after flying from Kuching-Sarawak), go on a road journey into Brunei.A rather bumpy ride in a Land Rover at that time.

2. Re: Is is easy to travel from Sandakan to kota kinabalu by road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 07, 2009