We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts

I'm booking my family trip for end of June to early July to Kinabatangan River and an island dive resort off from Sandakan. The quotes I got direct from the resorts are over 10% more than the same package quoted by third party tour companies. Both quotes are inclusive of tax and in the same currency. I wonder why the resort would charge more to direct customers and if any of you have the same experience. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Kinabatangan River
Kinabatangan River
349 Reviews
Sabah, Malaysia
Sandakan
Sandakan
Sandakan Division, Malaysia
7 replies to this topic
uk
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts

My experience is that the resorts are roughly the same price, we always ask the resort for a discounted rate. Tour companies wouldn't exist if they didnt get a discount on rack rates of course - and when you factor in their own transport they are often 10% cheaper.

Go ahead and book with the agency if its slightly cheaper - its the same either way.

Edited: 3:12 am, June 12, 2018
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,103 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts

I always book a hotel direct with the hotel. My reasons are that a) if they're full, you're more likely to get upgraded as a direct customer, and b) you never turn up to find the hotel saying they can't find your booking (because for example the booking company slipped up).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts

Many hotels and resorts offer best price guarantee, as mentioned by signprint, you can also ask for a discount rate. I know often in Asia , the prices can be quite different , some cheaper with the establishment , some cheaper with third parties.

Cheers

Sean

Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,683 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts

Online booking sites and travel agents can negotiate "wholesale" rates with hotels and resorts. Yes I agree that you can ask for a discount directly with the hotel and the worst thing that can happen is they will say "no."

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts

My experience so far is i will get better rates when I write to the direct accommodation provider instead of going via agoda and alikes. I just used this travel portal to help me shortlist my choices and get idea rates.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts

if you tell the resort what you can get by booking with a third party they usually will match. I have only ever had one issue where the hotel would not match but I think it might have been due to the inexperience of the staff member.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts

I emailed the resort the lower price I was quoted by a tour company. The resort lowered their price. Not quite matching but good enough. Thanks for all your input.

Reply to: Why does it cost more to book direct with the resorts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;