We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

Armagh, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

I'm a BSAC diver who will be backpacking round SE Asia and I'm hoping to go for 5/6 days diving in Sipadan 1st / 2nd week in August. I'm trying to decide whether to stay in Kapali or Mabul.

I don't mind paying the extra money for Kapali and having read a few discussion threads and associated links Kapali definitely seems to be the place to stay.

My query is as this resort is remote and I will be travelling by myself I was wondering if there is much of a communal atmosphere in the evenings or do people tend to retire to their own accommodation? I know Kapali has a dining room does it also have a bar?

I'm currently looking at booking through save-money-diving.com can anybody recommend another booking agent for comparison?

Thanks in advance

London UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

Kapalai is on another level, i've stayed on a few of the resorts over the years and will return to Kapalai for sure.

Armagh, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

Thanks for the info,

Kapali sounds like the destination of choice my next e mail will be to go and get a booking sorted!

Europe
Level Contributor
312 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

I contacted the resort Kapalai (note that it is Kapalai and not Kapali) directly and did not use agents.

Really looking forward to stay there.

Enjoy!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

hi,

I just got back from Kapalai - I loved every minute of it. Go to www.downbelow.co.uk - you'll see a lot more info on this site and Richard & Jo will be able to tell you a lots more. Bookings should be made with trusted agents. You can book direct or contact Richard/ Jo from the site mentioned above. They're lovely & have been fantastic in helping me with my bookings. Not sure if they take bookings but they'll point you to the right direction.

The dive resort is paradise. They do cater to single travellers - I travelled on my own and had a blast. There's huge dining room and a bar. People usually hang out there after dinner to view the video of the day's dives..Obviously it'll be up to you to make friends there. Almost everyone there is a diver so it's easy to make friends.

Kapalai is the only dive resort that's eco-friendly. For the little extra cost you pay and the service you get - i'd go with them anytime. You're spoilt rotten there. Everything is taken care of and all you need to do is enjoy the dives! It is beautiful. I would have LOVED to stay longer than the 5 days/4 nights..

Hope this helps.

Armagh, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

I was able to confirm my booking with the Kapalai resort today (with a lot of help from richard @ downbelow.co.uk). Having the craic with other divers from various countries is all part of the travelling experience and has never been a problem so I'm really looking forward to this holiday.

I'll stay on in Borneo for a while after the diving as it looks like it has a lot to offer regarding outdoor activities.

Thanks again for all the guidance and feedback.

Malaysia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

Hey there, glad dat u've confirmed ur place in Kapalai. Just wanna fill u a bit of info. I went there last year before Christmas. A BSAC Instructor joined me on dis trip. His name is Mr. Graham Poole from Yorkshire. Nice guy.... u could contact BSAC london and ask for Graham, just tell him Tiara from Malaysia told u to call him :P what i can tell u, if u get to know d DM's there (Alex, Lito, Ben, Dondon, Linda, Efren..) i'm sure u'll have loads of fun!!! They're d best ppl ever! And will def. take care of u. We were fortunate coz on dat trip we get to see loads of things! CRAZY!... so enjoy ur trip! p.s: Most of us got pissed drunk..

Armagh, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

to Yo Yo36, sounds like you had a good trip anyway! Cheers for the BSAC tip I'll look into it. All the reviews I've read about Kapalai have been positive so I'm really looking forward to the Sipadan part of this trip.

Thanks again for all the feedback

8. Re: Stay at Kapali or Mabul?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 23, 2009