We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

london - uk
Level Contributor
215 posts
136 reviews
Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

HI All

We are comparing hotels in Tioman - can anyone advise which ones have the best snorkeling directly from the hotel?

I have read that some dont have great swimming beaches and some are rocky - so would be grateful for any advice. We have mid to high budget (Japamala is too expensive for us though)

Thanks

23 replies to this topic
Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
1. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

Salang are the best places snorkeling direct from hotel ,if you divers,its more heaven dive there...lots of accommodation offering here..minimum RM100 per night..recommended to stay here.

http://www.pulautioman.com.my/Salang.php

For other places for snorkeling site,you need to take fast boat or snorkeling package

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

Hi there

I have the same problem. We are thinking about either staying at Air Batang, Juara Beach or the Bagus Place Retreat. I know that the best snorkeling is at the islands surrounding Tioman. But it would be also nice to snorkel from the beach. It's difficult to find information. I read that Air Batang is good but not as good as some years ago. Based on Reviews on Tripadvisor Bagus Place should also be nice. Juara Beach looks very beautiful but I'm not sure if there is good snorkeling from the beach. Does anyone have up-to-date information?

Thanks in advance

london - uk
Level Contributor
215 posts
136 reviews
3. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

I think we are going to opt for Bagus Place and hope that there is good snorkelling from the jetty. The beach is mostly rocky I believe but fingers crossed it will be nice

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

One of the best snorkeling spots is the small island opposite Berjaya Resort. It should be possible to reach it without a boat, it´s only about 300m from the beach. Otherwise there are many boats around, so maybe it´s safer to get a boat.

You could stay in Coconut Grove in Juara next to the turtle sanctuary. It´s located on the other end of the bay, so snorkeling is possible, but there is not that much to see. Some corals, sea turtles if you are lucky and blue dotted stingrays. The beach is the nicest on the island. It´s ok though, better than Nipah Beach, not much to see there.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
801 posts
428 reviews
5. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

I've had good snorkeling in front of Berjaya Hotel, and also off the pier at Tekek. I was told the waters south of Tioman, at Bagus Place will have better sea life and coral. However it is a bit off the way and has less options for eating. Berjaya is near Tekek and has shops and restaurants just outside the resort entrance.

london - uk
Level Contributor
215 posts
136 reviews
6. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

thanks everyone - we booked the bagus in the end, so will see what the snorkeling is like off the jetty, and possibly try another part of the island. however not yet sure how easy it will be to travel to a different part of the island - but will post a review once im back :)

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

How was Bagus, dazed_dizzy? I'm back from Malaysia. We stayed at Juara beach. Juara beach is awesome. We know now why it's considered to be the best beach on tioman. It's is forbidden by law to build big hotels there. There are only small Bungalow-Facilities and only a few tourists. This means you'll find yourself staying at a beautiful, isolated and quiet bay, which is ideal for swimming and chilling out.

But we were talking about snorkeling... There is a small reef at Juara Beach. So yes, it's possible to snorkel directly from the beach. But the sediments are stirred up by the current. Visibilty is bad because of that. Other guests told me, that it is better at the very ends of the beach. But we didn't try that. But we made two trips to Coral Island (Pulau Tulai) which is north-western of Tioman (maybe 3-4 km off). This place was fantastic with a lot of colorful corals and a lot of fish. The best spot was a rock formation called Malang Rock (just 200 m from Coral Island). We have snorkeled at a lot of great places in the past. But we found Malang Rock one of the best spots we have ever been to. We saw turtels, a reef-shark and a eagle ray. You get to Coral Island in 40 minutes by boat from Juara Beach. And it's a bumpy boatride. So, you should probably stay on the west side of the Island if Snorkeling (or Diving) is the absolutly most important thing for you and driving in a small boat scares you. But if you want to stay at a wonderful, quiet, tropical beach and you don't mind to take a boat for snorkeling - go to Juara Beach. You won't regret it.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
801 posts
428 reviews
8. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

Tks for the update, visited Juara but did not go out to the Island.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

i stayed at paya beach resort (kampung paya). the water is clear and there are live corals further out from the shore line. many colourful fish too.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
801 posts
428 reviews
10. Re: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?

Did that years ago , and it was as you described. However, next to the coral were lots of sea urchins - so be careful - they have sharp thorns!

Reply to: Which hotel has the best snorkeling direct from beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted