We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches without Sandflies in Tioman?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches without Sandflies in Tioman?

A Happy 2014 to one and all!

I intend to spend 2 weeks mid March and would most appreciate your contributions as to which villages/resorts to stay, (Swiss Cottage any good?) lively enough as I may be on my own. Clean and pleasant quarters, without breaking the bank - just well-maintained grounds, yes, good food at reasonnable prices, I have no need for pools and frills.

Snorkeling would be a plus esp. if infront of the same village. Most of all, as am awfully sensitive to insects of all kinds, especially sandflies, your suggestions would help!

Many thanks in advance,

yours sincerely,

lian

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches without Sandflies in Tioman?

I don't think there are sand flies in tioman. Mosquito, yes but no sandflies when I visited many yrs ago.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches without Sandflies in Tioman?

Recent postings all report of sandflies galore...Juara and Salang, and the itch is terrible and longlasating..

so pls. continue to come forth, All YE Regular Tiomaners..thanks to all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches without Sandflies in Tioman?

Agree with the first reply - Can't say I've ever had a sandfly problem in Tioman.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches without Sandflies in Tioman?

I can't remember any sandflies either... We stayed st Salang, Juara and Tekek...

Snorkeling was great outside the Berjaya resort in Tekek.

Pulau Tioman...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches without Sandflies in Tioman?

Hi,

Generally, there is sand flies in Tioman. However, they seem not to affect everyone. Only people with sensitive skin seems to be affected by it.

To be on the safe side, I would recommend having the following:

1) a good insect repellent

2) keep a bottle or two of stingose spray. in the event that you are bitten.

Hope that clarifies.

Tan

6. Re: Beaches without Sandflies in Tioman?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 19, 2015