We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

Which Pulau Tioman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
195 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

Hi All. Unfortuantely for me, I have a really bad fear of flying. My fear seems to be at its worst when we hit turbulence. I am convinced that the plane won't be able to stay in the air. Having said that, we are in the process of arranging a holiday to malaysia and the east coast islands for next year and the easiest way to get around seems to be on Berjaya Air. Much to my dismay I see that they use small planes and turbo props...eeek! Can anyone tell me about your experience in regard to turbulence, how much the plane is affected by it and that type of thing? We will be travelling in July / August 2014 which generally means good weather but the odd storm or rainy patch can't be excluded and if we do go through turbulence I'm worried that I will freak out on such a small plane. Any help or comments will be appreciated. Thanks. Kim

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

If you really really really don't want to fly, then you can make your way overland to Mersing and take the ferry over to Tioman. A long journey but a better option than freaking out in mid-air.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
195 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

True but we are moving around quite a lot and when I compare the ease of the flying option with the huge schlep of doing things by car, taxi, bus, ferry it really seems like I am making a difficult trip for myself and my travel partners. I'm also traveling with 3 other people who have no problem with a small plane and so I am feeling guitly making them do the long difficult route. I can suck up the flight if it's relatively smooth...it's the turbulence that gets to me!

North East England...
Level Contributor
512 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

Before you go, visit your doctor and you could get something to relax you prior to your flight. It may help. A friend of mine did this recently. Good luck and have a great holiday.

Save Reply
4. Re: Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

I maybe able to help with that. I have some free audios and videos that should help with your fear of flying. Audios fearofflying. com and videos www.youtube.com/user/NewLIfetraining

Let me know if they help

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
195 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

@Elsa - I have been down that route and have been prescribed 2 different medications both of which helped to take the edge off slightly but really dont calm me down totally. I still feel nervous and uncomfortable during the flight. For my next long international flight I think I need to get something that will know me out. I can't be stressed and scared if I'm not awake ;-). But obviously that won't work for a short flight.

@Christopher - thanks for the links. I will have a look, although I don't hold out much hope. My fear of flying is totally illogical and I know that. I know all the facts about how a plane flies and stays in the air, what noises to expect and why it is apparently safe....BUT is have a phobia and no amount of logical thought helps with that. But I will have a look at the things that you recommend and thanks for taking the time to try and help!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

There is an app for the iPhone specifically for fear of flying that includes a g-force meter which reads the forces the plane is dealing with when you are in turbulence. The readings prove there is no problem. If you go into the Apple app store, you can find it by search the term "SOAR Conquers Fear of Flying." The app is free.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
231 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

I can't recommend anything to help you. What I can offer is a past experience doing Subang to Tioman on Berjaya Air. Yes, unfortunately it is a small aircraft. And since Malaysia is a tropical country, clouds are almost always present in the sky except early in the morning when it is mostly clear. There will be bumps here and there, unfortunately, but it doesn't happen all through the journey. The landing at Tioman is also a steep one and was a cool experience to a thrill seekers. I'm not trying to scare you but I'm merely stating a fact.

I can't comment on how effective the methods that other people are proposing but hopefully you'll find a way to overcome this. I love Tioman by the way. Except for that one time flight, I used boat transfers as I live in Malaysia and can properly plan for the long road trips.

I've recently taken mountain flights in Nepal and they were some scary moments but not all the time. What I did was to grab tight my seat until the "bumps" went away after a few seconds. Usually pilots will try to go lower or higher (within a reasonable & allowable height) to avoid being continously in bumpy turbulence. I can understand this could be the difficult few seconds for you.

All the best!

8. Re: Berjaya Air for someone with a fear of flying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Pulau Tioman