We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsavo East/West, Amboseli, Aberdare, Samburu,The Mara or...?

Bergen, Norway
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tsavo East/West, Amboseli, Aberdare, Samburu,The Mara or...?

Going to Kenya to climb Mt. Kenya next week. Have rented a car the week after and have talked to KWS about whether or not I need to book anything in advance to which they responded I need not to... Anyway, I'm a bit torn on where to go. Samburu for solitude, Mara (again) for abundance but also more people... Tsavo? Or...? What can I expect in Samburu and Tsavo. I hear that everybody's recommending Tsavo East for ellies, but from what I understand West is better for cats... or am I mistaken? I know nothing is guaranteed, but where would be the best choice for both a true wilderness experience and good sightings of predators... Which campsites near the Mara are cheap and decent (I'm self sufficient, bringing my own tent and won't need a restaurant). To boil it down: I'd like to have good chances of cats, but I don't need or expect a Mara like guarantee... I'm also on a bit of a budget and would like "primitive" self-catered accomodation, preferably campsites.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Tsavo
Tsavo
Tsavo National Park West, Kenya
Tsavo East
Tsavo East
1,297 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
3 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsavo East/West, Amboseli, Aberdare, Samburu,The Mara or...?

How many days on safari are we looking at?

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsavo East/West, Amboseli, Aberdare, Samburu,The Mara or...?

For cats, go for Mara, next to Sekenani Gate is the Ole Peer Camp clean and nice or next to the talek gate the Aruba Camp. Both clean an reasonable.

Tsavo is Savannah east more hilly because of the Shetani Lava the soil is quite good. Tsavo East flat with the red soil. Amboseli with its swamp and the magnificent view of Kilimanjaro (Tanzania). each has its beauty.

Mentioned in this post
Tsavo
Tsavo
Tsavo National Park West, Kenya
Tsavo East
Tsavo East
1,297 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsavo East/West, Amboseli, Aberdare, Samburu,The Mara or...?

None of the Above.

Head out to Naivasha where there are plenty of lovely campsites & spend some quality time near the lake.

No wild cats, except for hippos & other herbivores.

Plenty to do in Naivasha - trekking in Hells Gate, boat rides to see hippos ++ delicious grub & ice cold tuskers !!

Edited: 8:17 am, March 15, 2016
Mentioned in this post
Naivasha
Naivasha
Rift Valley Province, Kenya
Reply to: Tsavo East/West, Amboseli, Aberdare, Samburu,The Mara or...?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted