We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ziwani camp and Hippo's

south west
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Ziwani camp and Hippo's

Hi all,

We are planning a trip to Kenya next year, it will be just myself and my two children aged 9 and 10. We are still playing around with different itinarys at the moment, but the Ziwani camp keeps coming up. Im just a little worried about the hippos though! How close are they able to get to your tents? and is the walk around the lake safe...with children? My son is mad on Hippos!

Also how much game viewing is their likely to be in Tsavo west and east? Is it a good place for viewing? I know nothing can be garentueed but would like to optimise our chances but still keep our holiday within budget and also as a taster safari with the kids?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved!

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ziwani camp and Hippo's

The Hippos normally leave the lake at night to graze on the lawns and may come near the tents but will not harm you as long as you stay inside. Early morning they return back to the lake.

The walk around the lake is perfectly safe as you are accompanied by a ranger who will keep a lookout for any danger.

As for the game then that is a matter of luck and just depends how much luck you have.

2. Re: Ziwani camp and Hippo's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 05, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo National Park...