We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money

Hull
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Spending money

Hi,

We are heading off on our first safari in early July, a 2 night 3 day to Tsavo East and West. It is all booked and ready to be paid for but "How much spending money should we take"? I know all the park entries and accomodation is covered under the price of the safari.

What is the protocol? Do we tip the driver daily or at the end if so how much?

Are the drinks expensive at the lodges?

I dont want to be carrying too much cash oround with me but equally dont want to be short!!

Thanks in advance

Steve

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money

Hi Steve

For tipping, have a look at: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-s606/Kenya:…

Bottle of water will be around Kshs 300, Beer Kshs 250-300. So for 2 nights for 2 people, if you allow around Kshs 5000 for drinks plus tips, you should be okay.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money

Steve,

If you take the equivalent of £80 that should be enough to cover for drinks in the lodges, drivers tip, lodge staff tip and also to pay for souvenirs you might decide to purchase.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money

We normally take around £150 in KHS for a safari - this year three days but may not use all- just in case of emergency.

I actually bought a book in a shop at Taita with my visa debit card which was a tad expensive at 3,5000 khs the curio shop where we stopped for refreshments and wash room used my card fraudulently therefore was stopped by my bank.

We had to rely on the KHS and also my husband's credit card.

We found drinks at Voi safari lodge very expensive compared to the other lodges.

You will also have to take into account tips for your driver,porters, bar tenders, and waiters.

That is my personal opinion.

4. Re: Spending money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 07, 2014