We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Topic
ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

Hi,

I am planning a short trip to Wadi Rum with my wife, after Petra. So my question is:

what is the best way to go about this?

a) Take a 2 hour tour through Wadi rum, return to Aqaba and enjoy the Jordanian nightlife there

b) Spend a night there as well (read a post on safety of tents, got a bit scared)...

Also, if I do decide to stay there... how does the transport work. I would have a hired car for the day, but given that this is desert area... I don't know if I would be able to take it till my camp / wherever I stay..

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

Hi,

do a three hour jeep tour, enjoy the sunset, camp in the Wadi, then head for Aqaba early morning.

your car can be left at the visitors, with is secure, or in Rum village,,,,, there is a car park by the rest house with a tourist police hut.

for a guide, with a camp in the protected area.. send me a PM, and I will pass on his details.

ciao

A99

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

I UTTERLY disagree!!!

You need a full day in Wadi Rum, and - especially at this time of year - a night there as well, sleeping in the desert!

Obviously you cannot take an ordinary car into the desert, you would ride there in the jeep belonging to the owner of the camp. I don't know what you read, and it sounds crazy to me ("safety of tents"???). The camps involve Bedouin tents, very soundly anchored.

But you shouldn't sleep in a tent at this time of year - take you bedding out of doors and sleep under the stars. There is no question of safety at all here.

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

Adding to the previous post, since I can't get all the information into the other thread:

In a two or a three hour visit you just see the tourist line up, you are right on the main Highway if you like, you most certainly can't get any kind of feel for the desert when you have tourists in front of you and behind you.

Honestly a cheap or a short tour of Wadi Rum is a complete waste of money, you don't get any idea of what it is like. If you can't spend a full day and a night there (minimum, a couple of days is better) then save the money and chill out on the beach in Aqaba instead.

I do warn you, Jordanian night life is not exactly scintillating....

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

Amariya

I can understand, with you, disagreeing,,,,,,, but the "I UTTERLY" !!!!!!! ,,,,

ciao

A99

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

lol...thanks guys... I kinda relate to each and every post!

So there are 2 ways to approach this:

1) Get an experience of the dessert for its expanse and barrenness: I totally agree about the stay 2-3 days bit because it needs to grow on you. But for that... I have lived in the Thar desert for a couple of days so am aware of that.

2) See the unique geological formations of the area: For this... a simple jeep ride would suffice, because in any case you can't spend teh night at the formations... This is probably what I am gunning for in that case.

Note: The tents and bedouin experience that they claim to give in the Wadi rum area, is purely a tourist ploy. (read a lot of reviews on this), because EXACTLY this is what they do even in the Indian deserts for the tourist who wanna camp in the heart of the sands.... Given this bit.. i'd prefer to head to Aqaba to get a feel for the local Jordanian pubs and moods (again.. i'll stay away from the touristy resorts)... else I'll spend some time along the red sea....

THANKS AGAIN!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

having said this... what is the best time to go out to see the formations... having read about the sunsets... i am expecting about 4 pm. for a 2 hour ride... in October season

Amman Jordan
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

Hi all,

Its all about experience after all, we could see that there are a lot of people who had a good time in Wadi Rum, weather they stayed in a tent or something else...there may be some people who had experienced something else which could happen to anyone else where in the world... I would stick on suggesting to stay on a tent with a usual place for tourist and try to avoid the off the beaten path if you are travelling in a small number of people or travelling alone...

Groovy spirit is right, try to do this on October...

8. Re: ideal way to get a feel for the Rum..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 03, 2012