We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wadi Rum Beduin Camp,Obeid Naser Al-Amamreh and his sons.

Miami
Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wadi Rum Beduin Camp,Obeid Naser Al-Amamreh and his sons.

My girlfriend and I arrived to Amman on Sept 7th, Obeid arranged to pick us up at Amman to start our 3 day tour. The first day we visited Madaba, Mount Nebo and Kerak Castle. The desert road to Wadirum is incredible! The scenery is breathtaking... When we arrived to Wadirum we thought we came to another planet. Obeid himself picked us up at the main entry of the visitor center. He speaks english fluently what made the communication very easy. Obeid is a very genuine and easygoing person. He and his sons made our stay a memorable and unforgettable experience at the desert. That evening Obeid took us out from the camp to a strategic location to see the sunset. After we came back to the camp, they have prepared us a traditional beduine dinner and after a delicious meal they had set up some carpets outside with the fire for us to contemplate the sky which was fully covered by stars. We have never seen the sky so beautiful in our life. We also saw 2 shooting stars... Salim and his cousin sung very nice songs with a drumb. We had a lot of fun. When we went to rest at our private tent, we found our bed done... I was not expecting that!! My girlfriend and I could not believe it. We had the commodities of hot shower, flush toilets and comfortable mattress in the tent ready for us to rest. All these in the middle of the desert. The day after we had the jeep tour and camel tour on our way to Wadi Musa Petra.

We had an awesome experience at Obeid's camp and we will definitely go back and recommend it to everybody. This experience at Obeid's camp is a must when you visit Jordan!!

Juan and Ana

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wadi Rum Beduin Camp,Obeid Naser Al-Amamreh and his sons.

A99, we agree on at least one thing-the number of one-time posters promoting a particular camp or driver/guide is prevalent on the Jordan forum. I always check a poster's travel map and the date they have joined TA when considering any recommendation. The "touts" are fairly easy to recognise-usually the grammar is poor and they shamelessly promote a single individual or property. Such posts are (in most cases), easy to distinguish from those of a satisfied traveler.

As to desert camps, there are those who have posted false information about the location of some camps-those are the locals that I am referring to. My comments are not restricted to this thread-there are many other threads about Wadi Rum camps.

You asked specifically that I name the locals engaged in this practice. Since their identities are easily ascertainable from a review of the TA site-that was the essence of my invitation to you (or any others) who are interested in finding out who they are. It was never my intention to offend legitimate "locals" who are genuinely helpful and who provide valuable insights.

Further, negative reviews can have long-term consequences to ordinary people who are simply trying to make a living. The internet is a powerful tool. The motivation of those providing false or inaccurate information is obvious. Tourism in Jordan is down -we were told by 46% but I expect that the figure may be greater. There is competition for the fewer tourists coming to the country. A camp that offers a quality experience will survive in what I expect is a temporary downturn. Obeid's camp had visitors the day before us and others were arriving on the day we left.

We have travelled extensively and a forum like this is a useful resource. My only suggestion to others is to look critically at all reviews-especially those that are overly positive or negative as there may be other factors motivating a reviewer in those instances.

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wadi Rum Beduin Camp,Obeid Naser Al-Amamreh and his sons.

Pirouette1,

I am sorry,, we do not agree,,,, due to the fact we are both on the same wave length : )

on a serious note; I must say, that was a very good post, and informative for other posters. well done and hats off......

ciao

A99

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Wadi Rum Beduin Camp,Obeid Naser Al-Amamreh and his sons.

thanks for sharing

14. Re: Wadi Rum Beduin Camp,Obeid Naser Al-Amamreh and his sons.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, October 23, 2012