We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ramon crater

Which Mitspe Ramon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
ramon crater

i saw a review that the ramon crater is amazing.

what is it about? how far from jerusalem?

thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ramon crater

It is a window into the Earth's crust and is about 2 and quarter hours drive from Jerusalem. It is a great place for desert hiking (but only early in the hot months) and seeing the various geological wonders of the crater. Don't miss the visitors center which offers a great way to understand what you see in the crater. I would not suggest this as a day trip from Jerusalem.

Chana

Israel

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ramon crater

oh well. thanks though

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ramon crater

As a note, it is not a crater but a makhtesh, a Hebrew word that is now the accepted term throughout the world. It is a massive erosion feature, leaving a crater-like depression behind. There are five makhteshim in Israel (Ha-Makhtesh Ha-Katan (the Small Makhtesh) is the most perfectly formed, and a little closer to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea area, but still not an easy day-trip. There are two more in the Sinai Peninsula of Egypt. They are unique to this region.

Worth a visit when you have time -- they are spectacular.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ramon crater

Oh well why?

Chana

Israel

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ramon crater

i already booked all my hotels yerushalayim/galil

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ramon crater

Nothing is carved in stone. Reservations can be changed if necessary in order to dee a certain part of the country.

Chana

Israel

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ramon crater

not when you book with aadvantage miles:-)

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ramon crater

Hope you don't mind me jumping into this thread. Hiking in the Judean desert was a highlight the last time we were in Israel and we want to do it again when we come in December. I was reading about this place and want to go! Chana do you know of any reasonably priced places to stay in Mitspe Ramon? I read about a place that offers huts (sukkot) near the crater but my family thinks it will be too cold. Do you have any info? Or other suggestions? Thanks!

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ramon crater

There are many "eco-lodging" establishments in that area of th Negev: Desert Eco-Lodge, Silent Arrow, etc. Many of these places are little huts or tents without electricity and with communal toilet facilities. Very off-the-beaten-path places for people who are looking for an outdoors experience and not luxury. They often host tours or have informed staff that can help you plan hikes, etc. It does cool down at night, even in the summer, so do pack warm pjs!

Edited: 2:17 am, October 17, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ramon crater

http://www.isrotel.com/ramon_inn/