We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

Auckland. New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

When travelling to and from Toba/Samosir beware of Pt. bagus Taxi's. They scammed two separate people we saw into buying multiple seats for themselves. When we told them what we paid they were both fuming, but the conman (Jule is his name) pretty much told them they were idiots and to just get in the car.

They will also tell you you must prebook days in advance the taxi's from them which isn't true.

There are multiple taxi companies there and the prices are negotiable, dont use Pt Bagus

24 replies to this topic
france
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

We have been scammed by Pt Bagus Taxi in Parapat too. We booked AC Bus seats to Bukkitingghi 2 days in advance with them. The D Day they put us in a private car telling us it was the shuttle to the bus station...but actually the car was the bus...so we were kind of kidnapped in a private car for a night long drive, the driver was driving madly, and he stopped for 3 hours on the parking of a petrol station to sleep in the mosque. We had to stay in the car next to operating prostitutes.

Once in Parapat go on the main road where you have ticket offices and buy your same day ticket yourself. Don't use these Bagus Taxi guys : they make you pay an over inflated price for no service at all. And do not believe the guidebooks that recommend them.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

Hi Everyone,

When in Tuk Tuk please ask your guesthouse for a reputable taxi company. You have stayed at the guesthouse and spent your money and I am sure they will look after you with transport.

Parapat is a bit of a sleazy place - I remember a local eatery trying to get me to stay longer and miss my ferry over to Samosir Island.

Luckily even after a 17 hr bus trip from Bukittinggi through the night that was as rough as all hell I still had my wits about me and let me know I was NOT pleased with his tactics.

Pamela.

Medan
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

thx for the warning

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

Came across this when I seach for a driver. Are a bit confused because my GH at Samosir do recommend this company coming from Medan.

Kirsten

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

Kirsten,

I think it should be ok for you to do the trip from Medan to Prapat with them.

In the report above the travellers thought they were getting an air con bus from Prapat to Bukittinggi about 17-20 hrs away BUT instead the guy in the car took them.

Makes me wonder how much money they paid for the 'so called' bus tickets.

If you are not sure then maybe try Raja Taxis - google them.

Price should be about 450,000-550,000 for the one way taxi service trip from Medan to Prapat.

Pamela

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

Always pack a generous allowance of extra cynicism before venturing into these regions.

There are some most unfortunate and arrogant individuals who seemingly derive great pleasure, and often some quite inappropriate and generous financial reward from ripping people off.

They have apparently either never possessed, or they have entirely mislaid any vestige of conscience or ethical social behaviour and simply view a visitor to the region as an opportunity to be exploited.

To a point you must just rely on your own intuition, but don't be too generous or quick to assume someone is either telling the truth, or bearing kind or helpful intent.

There is a reason that many Indonesians appear to be doing everything at a pace appropriate to measuring the drying time of wall paint on a rainy day.

They are appraising, looking about, whilst not being too conspicuous about it and carefully measuring their reactions and next move.

Sadly this pre-disposition is rarely seen on the roadways, many lives could be saved if that were the case.

However study this slow measured behaviour and imitate it.

Don't ever rush a decision and if necessary just delay your response.

Many Indonesians will wait up to 20 seconds before they even answer a question or continue with a discussion thread or negotiation.

There is a message in that, slow it all down and work with that, it will be a bit frustrating , but likely rewarding.

If in doubt always consider making a Post on this Forum, or even in the general Indonesian Forum.

Seek a response from people like pPamela and others here you have a finely tuned sense of awareness of irregularities in the tourism services area.

And please don't ever be discouraged.

Often if things are given some time and often some seemingly extraordinary levels of patience, then the nicer, more honest, and ethical people are either located, or quietly step forward.

To a degree, that is the way of things in Indonesia.

Edited: 1:05 am, January 15, 2013
denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

Thanks Pamela and j_h.....

I might just go for the collective rides by 'Bagus Taxi' as they pick you up at your hotel.

Can I arrange this when I arrive Medan in the evening - wants to go next morning?

Kirsten

8. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:39 am, May 09, 2013

Bukit Mertajam...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

Over the years I've taken many taxis in Indonesia, but my ride with Bagus Taxis a couple of days ago was the worst ever. It was the only time I felt that the driver was a real danger to other road users and his passengers. It felt as though we were on a race track, as he bullied other vehicles, especially motorbikes. The driver clipped one motorbike when passing a line of vehicles on the left, and he nearly hit another motorbike while overtaking too quickly. He failed to slow down for some speed bumps, which was very unpleasant for those of us sitting at the back of the vehicle. My two companions and I were going from Parapat to Medan, but when the driver stopped at the Kualanamu airport to let one passenger off, we got off and caught the train to Medan. Next time I'll choose another company.

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat

We just completed our journey from Parapat to Medan airport with Bagus taxi. The driver was a complete maniac on the road. We were scared for our lives several times as he played chicken as overtaking other drivers. We felt he was in a race. We never were passed once in a 3.5 hour journey which tells you how fast he was going. We exceeded 130 km at times even in cities en route. Do not book with them!!!!

To be clear, we have been to Indonesia 4 times and have traveled to many places throughout the world. We expect to hold our breath once in a while during drives as road rules are different in these countries. This was the worst and most fearful ride we have ever had!!!

Edited: 5:55 am, August 01, 2015
Reply to: Beware Pt. Bagus Taxi's in Parapat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted