We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vung Tau Old-Timers. Help please

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Vung Tau Old-Timers. Help please

I spent 1972-73 in the Vung Tau area, almost all of my time in the DeLong Pier area and the AB&T compound. I know it's 40 years ago, and I believe the Delong Pier was long ago removed. Anyone have any idea what is in that area now? Possibly returning to Vietnam for the first time since then. If I come to Vung Tau would it be worth my while to even try to view that location today? How would I get there, taxi from the hydrofoil port? Thanks.

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vung Tau Old-Timers. Help please

Very few remnants of the American war remain unless it fits into the Vietnamese military plan. Both of my old bases are still in use. Stopped in VT twice in the past few years and it's a nice little resort town, lots of restuarants and afew bars. Front beach and back beach. There's a large temple out along the front beach road, nice drive by moto. More secluded out there.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vung Tau Old-Timers. Help please

Thanks, anyone else have info?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vung Tau Old-Timers. Help please

Not much has remained. All are destroyed after the war. Taxi is available at port.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vung Tau Old-Timers. Help please

Vietnam has long moved on.

Virtually nothing remains of the Vietnam/American War era and that which does has been fully incorporated in to the VN infrastructure and is virtually unidentifiable given the passage of time and modifications and additions to suit the needs of VN.

As a SVN Vet whos served at both 1 ATF and 1 ALSG in 1969 I had hoped that there would be more still to see but the reality is there is now very little to show for our presence in the then SVN.

Best regards. ian

5. Re: Vung Tau Old-Timers. Help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Vung Tau