We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

Which Ninh Binh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

Has anyone booked a tour thru the Ngoc Anh hotel? They list quite a few excursions on their website and I am interested in hearing about anyone's experience with them. Which tour did you do? How was the guide? Did you feel that it is a good value, or would it be better to try to organize with another agent?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

Ah, a tricky one this barbarasa.

When I'm in Ninh Binh I always stay at the Ngoc Anh but I use a local motorbike guide who has no current affiliation to that hotel.

That said, I've known the owner and the manager of the Ngoc Anh for years and am sure that their tours are excellent, although it would be advisable to establish in advance that you would like a guide with a very good command of English and knowledge of the places visited in terms of history, folklore etc.

As for employing another agent, travel agents catering to Western tourists barely exist in Ninh Binh and most visitors staying in that town book tours through their hotels. The only alternative is to organise a private tour with a Hanoi agent that includes return transportation and a guide, plus accommodation for a night or two in the region, although there again it's essential to establish that the guide knows his or her stuff.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

We booked the cycling tour through Ngoc Anh last April and were very pleased with the guide. We had no trouble understanding his English and he had a great sense of humor. The bikes though had definitely seen better days. Overall, I would recommend the cycling tour and for the money charged was well worth it.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

Thank you both very much!

CB - I saw from another post that you've had Toan as a guide there. I would like to contact him.

I am interested also in the 6 day tour that the Ngoc Anh has to the NW. I will contact the manager there to find out about the guide and accommodations on that excursion.

If you have any comments about that tour, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks again.

Barbara

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,235 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

My experience in Vietnam.

1)Book a room with the hotel,upon arrival discussed with the hotel staffs regarding tours that they offered .

2)Ask for airport pick up to the hotel.

3)Discussed and ask for "best offer"it is an Asian culture to haggle over pricing but prior to that ask what lunch menu had been offered.

4)Cheaper pricing will sacrifice on quality of lunch,also ask to included entrance fee if applicable.

5)It is always to your advantages to book tours upon arrival and the hotel are ultra efficient to arranged any tour at a very short notice,very keen competition all over Vietnam.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

Hi Barbara. Toan's contact details are as follows: email toantourguide@hotmail.com, mobile 0988 895266.

He also does 2 day/3 night trips to Pu Luong nature reserve (the nights being spent in hill tribe villages) and it's possible he might go further afield to the north-west. Anyway it's worth asking when you contact him so that you compare his price with the Ngoc Anh's.

By the way, entrance fees (cheap) are not usually included in the cost of Toan's local day tours but as his daily rate is extremely low compared with that charged elsewhere in Vietnam it's no hardship to pay the fees.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

Thanks so much, CB. I'll contact him. Hopefully, I'm not being too compulsively early for a trip next fall!

Thanks again.

Barbara

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

Well you're certainly better organised than I am. I'm planning to return at the end of February and still haven't booked my flight from the UK!

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

Hi CB,

My family (2 children 4 and 8 years old) will be staying at The Ngoc Anh Hotel in mid Jan. We are keen to do the cycling tour they offer but was advised because of the cold weather it may not be the right option.

If we do choose to cycle do you know if many places in Ninh Binh has a child seat that we can mount onto the adult bike for my 4 year old (he is small and we have one at home which he still fits into).

It would be great to hear yours and anyone else comments. Thanks

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

zacsaac, as you're staying at the Ngoc Anh you could ask the manager, Tam (aka David), about a child seat. I'm not sure whether any of the hotel's bikes come equipped with child seats but if Tam can't track one down for you, nobody can.

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours - Ninh Binh and beyond

Thank you CB....we are 30 mins away from checking in at the Ngoc Anh.