We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do around Can Tho for a day?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
957 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
What to do around Can Tho for a day?

My husband and I have 2 nights in the Mekong Delta in December. We've decided to get a private tour from HCM which after Ben Tre and a few other stops, takes us to Can Tho where we overnight and have the guide for the floating markets the next morning. We've then decided to stay on in Can Tho on our own for another night before flying off to Phu Quoc the next day. We thought it might be nice just to have a day to mooch about on our own.

The question is, is there stuff around there that we could do during the day? I gather there is a tourist office that we could pop into but I thought if I was armed with a few ideas before we turned up that would be useful.

Many thanks.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do around Can Tho for a day?

I really enojoy just getting a bicycle and cycling out into the countryside. Also, while you'll see a lot of river activity when you go to the floating markets I never tire of watching life on the Mekong, so you could go out on the water again. Or just sit in a riverside cafe and watch the activity. Around sunset you just can't beat the having cocktails at the Victoria hotel.

HCMC
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do around Can Tho for a day?

Dear artemis1

You will visit Can Tho museum, Khmer pagoda and take taxi to visit Binh Thuy ancient temple and Binh Thuy ancient house

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/57796245

vietnamtourism.org.vn/travel-guide/destinati…

You will walk along Ninh Kieu wharf, take Xom Chai ferry to cross river and observe the sunset and the twilight from the poor village and you will look for Nam Do best local restaurant in Can Tho for dinner You will go to Kim Tho hotel rooftop for a great view of Can Tho city at night, visit Ninh Kieu 1 hotel for drinks at the local riverside cafe

Jason SSS

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
957 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do around Can Tho for a day?

Thanks Tecali and Jason, sounds like there is stuff to entertain us. I did think if we loved the floating market, we could always pick up a guide and go again, assuming we can get ourselves out of bed that early.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do around Can Tho for a day?

Can Tho is a nice place. There are many coffee shops and good restaraunts, but a good chunk of the day can be taken up by the riverside market and in the evening, the riverside prominade is very active. I say do not worry about it and simply see what you are interested in. Your hotel can arrange most things you might decide to do on your behalf.

Owee

www.owee58.com

HCMC
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do around Can Tho for a day?

Dear artemis1

How about you hire a boat to visit the Cai Rang floating market in the late afternoon at sunset to see how people at the floating market to close their business day and to prepare their dinner and evening

Jason SSS

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do around Can Tho for a day?

Hi Jason,

How about for you to set up a tour, like dinner/lunch on one of the boat at the floating market. I think many will like it.

I got invited by one of them, but I speak Viet and it took me a while to get invited

by them.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do around Can Tho for a day?

Hey artemis,

Depending on the experience you are looking for, another option could be a homestay. We have booked into Hungs Homestay in August which is down the road/river near Cai rang.

Apparently it is one of the best ways to experience the Mekong and its people, and is really inexpensive. We are heading off to Phu Quoc after this as well.

You can find Hungs on TA and the reviews sound awesome.

Enjoy,

Mark

8. Re: What to do around Can Tho for a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:45 pm, June 27, 2013