We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custom declaration

Which Bukhara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Custom declaration

I read somewhere that on entering Uzbekistan, you have to declare everything (EVERYTHING) on a form. Does that mean everything including every camera, charger, batter, toothbrush and every note and coin? How strict are they?

36 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Custom declaration

Just valuables like cameras, tablets, phones. jewelry, money, etc.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Custom declaration

Thanks for that. Do you have to declare the battery charges, memory cards etc or do can they go as part of the camera?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custom declaration

I didn't declare the small stuff like chargers, memory cards, etc.

I took my SLR with 3 lenses and 18 memory cards, etc but just declared it as 1 item being "SLR camera & lenses".

Went in and out of the country 3 times and the one thing they seemed to care about was the amount of money declared as they enter it into the immigration system when they scan your passport (not that they ever asked to see the money or anything else I put down).

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Custom declaration

Ya mostly all you need to declare is the foreign currency that you carrying. Not that they check! Only thing they make you fill multiple immigration forms on entering the country.

Province of...
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Custom declaration

All valuable things (camera, laptop, phones) & all currencies. You need fill 2 copies & get one back, after crossing border (right after custom)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Custom declaration

I learned that this is the most important document; you must keep this safe as you need it at border crossings and airports. Without it you will be stuck, big time.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Custom declaration

You need to keep the document safe and declare the currency! They dont really care about the other stuff and never check!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Custom declaration

Yes they don't usually check but they CAN. On one of border crossings, the Uzbek customs queried how much money one member of our group had left. He was made to put all the money on the table and count it against what he had declared.

So yes they can ask to see what you declare but its rare.

Zürich, Zurich...
Level Contributor
19 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Custom declaration

Only money needs to be declared.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Custom declaration

No, you have to declare all money and all valuables (eg: DSLR cameras, camcorders, mobile phones). They dont want you to bring in valuable items and selling them before going back home.

Reply to: Custom declaration
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bukhara