We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

Which Ivano-Frankivsk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,030 posts
323 reviews
Save Topic
Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

I'm hesitating whether to go trekking around Mt Hoverla or around Osmoloda. Is it that much better around Osmoloda ?

The problem is that Osmoloda is more difficult to reach. How should I do from Lviv: through Dolyna ? or through Kalush ?

Thanks.

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

Pierre,

It is still free, of course, to do so in Ukraine as well. It's just every time I talk to rescue teams here, they always say that if they are notified in advance about someone hiking to a place (especially alone), it will be much easier for them to arrange for rescue (in case it's needed). Our rescue teams aren't as well equipped as they are in Europe unfortunately. So any head start is a good idea. Especially since it only takes 5 min and a fax scan sent to the rescue team center.

Safe hiking to everyone!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,030 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

One thing you can do to improve securoty is to work with Kartografia (and maybe other mapmakers) to improve their maps. Some of the trails on the maps are completely false. Also their Chornogora map stops short of the descents on the East side (Zelene ...).

s long as you stay on the main trail, it is impossible to get lost. The preoblem is that, due to very bad weather, some people have tried on September 2, to find a way down as fast as possible to villages.

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

Good point, Pierre. Yes, if the weather is good, it's hard to get lost, unless you are really novice. It's when the rain starts, and mist falls on the mountains. Even on Chornogora people get lost, even though it's quite a popular route.

And yes, maps are crucial. Which maps did you use though? We work with Stezhky NGO (http://www.stezhky.org.ua/?m0prm=50&m1prm=177). They are local volunteers who mark trails. Their maps are quite reliable. Which ones did you buy?

Oksana

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,030 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

I used maps from KARTOGRAFIA. The physical topography is correct, but it's not reliable at all for the trails.

Edited: 6:13 am, September 14, 2013
Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

Ah. Yes, it's a state run company. My advice for anyone who goes to Carpathians again - buy maps from Stezhky NGO. They are the ones who actually mark the trails.

Oksana

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

>>> My advice for anyone who goes to Carpathians again - buy maps from Stezhky NGO.

Thanks a lot for the tip, Oksana!

Haven't seen them in Kyiv so far (or maybe wasn't looking too carefully). Do you, by any chance, have any link to them, please?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,030 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

I've trekked from Bukovel to Osmoloda. There are 2 busses a day Kalush Bus Station 2 - Osmoloda at 7:30 and 14:30 return 11:00 and 17;00.

Regular public transport as far as Yasen. From Ivano Frankitsk you may need to change bus at Rozhnyativ.

18. Re: Trek in Carpathians: Osmoloda (Gorgany) ? Access from Lviv ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, July 25, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Ivano-Frankivsk