We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

London
Level Contributor
173 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

Hello all

For those of you who've had the opportunity & chance to see the fabulous Angkor temples and the even more splendid Bagan temples in Burma,would you say I would still get the wow factor from visiting Sukhothai?

I do enjoy temples (within reason) and I do like the buddhist spirituality which oozes from places like that but mostly I enjoy taking a leisurely cycling ride through beautiful scenery in the midst of peaceful temples from another era. Will I be amazed by Sukhothai?

I would prefer for those who've done Bagan in Burma to let me know their view because I feel they can really know what I mean. Many thanks :)

NYC
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

Give me two days and I can tell you vs Angkor Wat which we explored last January. We are en route to Myanmar and will be in Bagan in less than 10 days. When do you plan to travel eg how soon do u need info? Writing from northern Thailand.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

The short answer is NO. After seeing those places Sukhothai is pretty and pleasant but cannot compare.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

I have been to a lot of temples & ruins, including Angkor Wat & Bagan, and hope to visit Sukhothai in December. Is it anything like Ayutthaya? If so, I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Cannes, France
Level Contributor
401 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

We have been to Angkor and Ayutthaya and actually preferred Sukhothai to Ayuthaya but loved them both. At Sukhothai be sure to visit the slightly outside the main park Budha's, as well. Hardly anyone goes and it was spectacular. It's a tuk tuk away. Not that far. Sorry I forgot the names.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

Thanks for that, I'm sure I am going to really enjoy it!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

Hi,

I've been to all of those places and Sukhothai is great, a lot quieter than Ayutthaya and Angkor. Many of the ruins are very low key but the central park area never seems to get super busy like Angkor and Ayutthaya, and as getgs says, the northern and western areas are very quiet - I think they are referring to Wat Sri Chum which is unmissable.

Cheers

Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

In our opinion, nothing can compare to Bagan. While the ruins in Thailand are individually pretty, you miss the "wow" factor in scale that Bagan offers. Here are some photos to help you decide: erohisms.com/thailand-in-ruins-ayutthaya-and…

Since Bagan, we've officially been "ruined."

8. Re: Sukhothai -still the wow factor if visited Angkor & Bagan??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 14, 2014