We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe i Satun?

England
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
How safe i Satun?

Hi!

I am planning to travel to Thailand and Malaysia and was wondering if anyone have recently been travelling down south Thailand to Satun and from there taken the ferry to Langkawi in Malaysia? I have read the recommendations against travelling through the other 4 southern thai provinces due to the threat of terrorism but what about Satun which is just on the border? and the best way to get there from the north without having to chenge in Hat Yai?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe i Satun?

I'll be doing a reverse trip from Langkawi to Satun and then north in April. From everything I've read, it seems perfectly safe. You can take a mini-bus south from Trang to Satun, so you don't have to go through Hat Yai. You can fly from BKK to Krabi or Trang for pretty cheap or take an overnight train from BKK to Trang.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe i Satun?

I am not sure if you have been on your trip yet but thought I would post this just in case.

I have just returned home from a great trip to Thailand. During our stay we went to Satun from Phuket to get the ferry to Langkawi. We travelled by bus which we found very interesting and safe and fun meeting all the locals. It took a good 8 hours as it seemed to stop at every second coconut tree to drop off and pick up people but after it left Trang it was pretty empty and fast.

We had to stay in Satun overnight as the last ferry goes at 4.00pm and the bus arrives at about 4.15pm during low season which is Apr-Oct. We stayed at the Pinnacle Wangai hotel which is located right where the bus stops and we just had dinner and crashed for the night, its a pretty basic hotel but OK for a night. Costs about THB600.

The Tammulung pier is about a 15 minute tuk tuk ride from town and should cost about THB150.00.

I have to say that there was no worry with travelling through the area, I suppose it also depends how long you want to take. If you are travelling from Bangkok and want to get there quickly you would be best to fly to Had Yai and get a taxi over to Satun. You can do this relatively cheaply.

Good luck and have a good time

DHAKA, BANGLADESH
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe i Satun?

I have done it myself last month (Dec 06) with a pal of mine. We took a bus from Bangkok Southern Bus Terminal to all the way to Satun. We started at 5:00 pm and reached Satun at 9:00 am the next day. Journey was quite long (one should go for Super VIP bus, which we did not) our bus was like an economy thing (with AC) and costed us 564 baht per person. From the bus stop we had to take a 20 minutes ride to the ferry terminal. We got ferry tickets for 200 baht per person and we were along-side Langkawii Jetty in less than two hours. In Langkawii one should not stay at Kuah City. Better take a cab to Pantai Cenang area (you don't have to bergain people are quite straight forward in Malaysia, the cabbie will charge you a fixed amount which is less than MYR 20. You will be able to chose from different sea side motels / resorts. You may prefer to visit the Under Water World (which is in the walking distance). You can hire a bike/ car (this will prove useful). And don't miss Island Hopping/ Snorkelling. Onthe way back from Langkawii took a bus from Satun to Krabi, stayed a couple of days at Aonang Beach (more sun and sand) and then fall back to Bangkok. In a nutshell, you can take this trip

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe i Satun?

Satun is fairly safe, never had any problems. Went there quite a few times, but there is nothing much there, its just a gateway in and out of Thailand. There is no avoiding Hat Yai if you don't rent your own car/bike. You can get the minibus straight to Satun from the station.

http://www.langkawi-ferry.com/schedule.html

The above will tell you the boat times to Langkawi, usually they work to schedule, if they don't the day you are there walk down to the end of the pier, ask one of the fishermen to drop you at Perlis, the service to Langkawi is every hour from there.

Have fun.

5. Re: How safe i Satun?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 28, 2009