We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

HK
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

I'm a single woman traveller who needs to go from Phitsanulok to Chiang Rai in mid September. Is the only way a 8 hour bus journey? And do I need to buy the ticket in advance? I will be travelling on a Sunday. Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
311 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

Hi there I travelled from CR to P'LOK in June on the 999 blue government owned VIP bus, which took seven hours and cost 470 BAHT. I assume this is the fastest and most costly bus.

There is a toilet onboard and a bottle of water and snacks are provided free of charge.

No need to worry even if you are teavelling the other way round, since P'lok is a major transportation hub and almost all north south buses stop here.

And IHO, P'lok deserves a few days at least in its own right. Foreign tourists have yet to arrive in hordes. Be sure to try the Pakistani roti near P1 Hotel and if you are in the mood for a big lunch, try the buffet lunch at Topland Hotel.

2. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:46 am, August 17, 2016

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

Hi

there is no rail or train to Chaing Rai. direct.. could go to chaing mai then 3 hr bus ride to Chaing Rai

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,356 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

Hi,

Quite right, I should have said bus to Chiang Mai and then by rail.

HK
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

Thanks for this, I'll have to try find out more on the Internet. I need to stay overnight in Chiang Rai both onward and return times. Any tips on where to stay would really help.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
311 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

Ajarnandy, the OP will be travelling from Phitsanulok to CR, not the the other way round.

So if you want to suggest a rail plus bus combo solution, it should be rail to Chiang Mai then bus to CR.

You should have read more carefully.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,356 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

Thank you for pointing that out Alex.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

Hi

If you don't mind me asking why do you have to stay in Chaing Rai? Is that your destination or just passing through? there are usually direct buses to every where.

and where to stay depends on your budget and travel style.

HK
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

I'm going to a meditation retreat in Phitsanulok then I'm going to stay at a retreat near to Chiang Rai for a couple of weeks. I need to arrive at the Chiang Rai retreat in the afternoon at the latest. With all the travelling, it's likely that I will need to stay a night in Chiang Rai before reaching the retreat when it's open.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?

Hi

another option is to fly no direct routes but there is an 8 am flight to Bangkok then a 1 pm flight to Chaing Rai

cost should be around 2000 baht for both one way tickets get into chaing Rai around 2 30 afternoon.

this is on Nok Air. flight times are around an hour than hour and half.

buses run about every hour or two so could get a late night bus put you into Chaing Rai very early morning.

Reply to: How to get to Chiang Rai from Phitsanulok?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted