We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phitsanulok/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai to Chiang Kham

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Phitsanulok/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai to Chiang Kham

Hi everyone, I'll be travelling around northern Thailand in a few days time and am wondering if anyone knows the bus schedule timings from Phitsanulok to Chiang Kham?

Are there any direct buses? Are delays to the buses expected? We are looking to leave in the early morning say 9 plus from Phitsanulok (will touch down at the Phitsanulok airport around 7 plus in the morning).

Thank you very much! (I've been scouring the net but can't seem to find reliable, updated bus schedules as this seems to be a less travelled route..)

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Phitsanulok/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai to Chiang Kham

Hi

From my experience towns with in a few hrs of one another always have a local bus service.

usually no AC and makes many stops. some will also have mini van service.

You can get a VIP bus from Bangkok direct with to Chiang Kham, with only a few stops right before Chaing Kham but no VIP bus within a few hrs distance. IMO

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Phitsanulok/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai to Chiang Kham

Hi

If more than 3 hrs then you can usually find a direct bus with AC IMO

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Phitsanulok/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai to Chiang Kham

Thanks sawadeeka. Do you know what the timings of the bus are? That is, what time do they leave Phitsanulok or Bangkok and reach Chiang Kham? I found a site to book buses here, but there's only departure time and not arrival time: thaiticketmajor.com/bus/buy-bus-tickets_eng.…

Is Chiang Kham the same as Chiang Khan and Chiang Kum? The spellings are so similar, not sure if they refer to the same place in Thai!

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated:)

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
644 reviews
4. Re: Phitsanulok/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai to Chiang Kham

This is old - but will answer for the record.

To Chiang Kham (in Chiang Rai Province of northern Thailand) from Phitsanulok, it may be best to take train or bus to Chiang Mai, then Green Bus to Chiang Kham. Not sure, but assume that the direct Bangkok to Chiang Kham bus probably doesn't go through Phitsanulok.

To Chiang Khan (Loei Province in the Northeast), there are direct buses between Phitsanulok to Udon Thani, which stop in Loei. So, maybe, take such a bus to Loei, then an onward connection to Chiang Khan. There is a suggestion, however, that there *is* a direct bus from Phitsanulok to Chiang Khan. One could drop by the Phitsanulok bus terminal (Bo Ko So 2 - new #2 bus stn in Phitsanulok), say, the day before planned travel, and check out the options. When I have done such trips, no advance bookings were possible on those routes/operators. But it's good to get advance advice on schedule and route options (direct or change in Loei) to help in planning.

5. Re: Phitsanulok/Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai to Chiang Kham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, November 26, 2016