We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Budget Way to See Phang Nga

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Budget Way to See Phang Nga

I am planning to visit the Phang Nga Bay area for 2-3 days (maybe 2 from Phang Nga and 1 from Ao Nang) with my husband. We are interested in both kayaking around the mangroves and into hongs as well as boating for a "tour" of the scenery with a few stops. We are on a bit of a tight budget and so can't afford to do any of the really awesome looking kayaking tours.

Does anyone know:

a) if kayak tours booked in Phang Nga are a lot cheaper than listed online?

b) how easy and cost effective it is to do a DIY tour of the bay including kayaking and maybe a longtail boat? (I've read a little on chartering a boat from the NP headquarters. Is this a viable, affordable option? We would like to do at least a day tour, but I've read that you can only charter these boats for a few hours--is that true? Can you rent kayaks with a guide for mangrove tours?)

c) if it is possible to do an overnight on Pannyi if it is not part of a tour?

Any recommendations for reputable budget companies are much appreciated!

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Budget Way to See Phang Nga

hi WandrinA,

How was your visit to Phang Nga? We will be driving from Malaysia, planning on a 2 day visit to Phang Nga to do all that we can within 2 days, before heading to Patong Phuket for another 2 days.

We have no idea yet where to stay there, and what is the best thing that Phang nga has to offer...any suggestion?

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
885 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Budget Way to See Phang Nga

You can rent a private boat or take a join in tour.

Below is the review for private boat.

tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g1152716-d553…

3. Re: Best Budget Way to See Phang Nga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, January 19, 2015
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,520 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Budget Way to See Phang Nga

Self promotion not allowed.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Budget Way to See Phang Nga

Actually, this was the least successful part of our trip. The Temple of Heaven and Hell in town is worth a visit--out of all such temples I've seen in Thailand, this was the most bizarre (and rundown). I forget what tour we booked, but it was the fellow at the bus stop who has had mixed reviews. He talked us out of the tour we wanted to fill up his boat rather than run a different one, and it went exactly where we didn't want to go and nowhere we did want to go. If I did it again, I would either rent my own boat or splurge on something more expensive, especially something that includes significant kayaking. After all, we went to see the sea caves and didn't really. This was definitely a case of "you get what you pay for." All the research I did was not worth it in the end. Also, having seen Halong Bay earlier in the year, I didn't find Phang Nga itself that exciting. (Of course, it would have been better if we had been able to go anywhere but the most touristy spots. We were dropped off on James Bond Island for a whole hour, something I specifically requested we not do. James Bond Island is little more than a heap of tourists and vendors and zero charm. At least the sign for the men's toilet is amusing.)

So, it depends on what you like to do. I would recommend staying on an island and/or kayaking or taking a private tour--otherwise you'll end up seeing very little but other tourists.

6. Re: Best Budget Way to See Phang Nga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 30, 2016