We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money in Khao Lak

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,696 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Changing money in Khao Lak

Going to Le Meridien in Khao Lak for a couple of weeks in April, transiting via KLIA. Am I better bringing $US Travellers' Cheques and/or ThBt from UK; cashing TCs at KLIA into ThBts; cashing TCs in Khao Lak - other than hotel (which presumanly gives low rates) are there money changers/ATMs in Khao Lak Town?

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money in Khao Lak

There are exchange centers in Khao Lak. As well as ATMs that service international cards.

You might find it easier to exchange some money at Phuket Airport. Right after you leave the customs area you will enter an anteroom - that is not quite yet in the Arrivals Hall - numerous banks will do forex for you there.

My experience has been that if you buy baht in another country - you will not get a decent rate.

I wouldn't bother cashing anything at KLIA - I don't think you'll get a competitive rate.

Do your exchanges either at the Phuket Airport - or right in Khao Lak.

Hotels, of course, give poorer rates as they deal in small quantities - and have to be careful of daily/hourly/moment-to-moment currency fluctuations.

Just my opinion.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,696 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing money in Khao Lak

"Just my opinion." - which I respect and am grateful for.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing money in Khao Lak

My pleasure!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing money in Khao Lak

Those last minute details! We were intending taking Aussie $ with us and just changing them in Khao Lak, would we be better to change into thb here? Are there moeny changers in Khao Lak? We are only going to use credit card in the hotel. Thanks

Deb

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing money in Khao Lak

Change your Au$ at the airport for the best exchange rate.

ATMs in Khao Lak also will give a good rate.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing money in Khao Lak

Hi Deb, I took Aussie dollar and also Trav chqs in A dollar lastyear, both betterrate inTahi than in Oz, money changes by banks better than in hotels. I vack there in 3 weeks and I wil be doing similar this time.

Dorset
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing money in Khao Lak

Hi Alan,

If you have the time it's really worthwhile opening a Nationwide current account (we have one just for holidays) you can use the card in the ATM mahines all over Khao Lak. When we were there in Nov/Dec the rate we were quoted in the UK was at best 65 Bt but we never got less than 70 using the machines and they don't charge any commision!

In addition you can take the money out as and when you need it and you don't have to carry your passport as with travellers cheques. We've used this system for holidays all over the place and would really recommend it.

all the best,

Claire

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,696 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing money in Khao Lak

Hi Claire,

Not only, on the basis of previous advice similar to yours, am I this year taking a Nationwide Flex Account, I'm in the process of transferring my life-long banking to Nationwide, who will pay me 4.5% interest on my current account, compared to 0.1% by my miserly current bank. Just hope it will all be completed before we return to Khao Lak in 8 weeks time. 8 weeks, wow, can't believe it!!!!

Thanks for tip.

Alan

9. Re: Changing money in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 25, 2009